General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 01:36 PM
PCKID
Unregistered
Default Brake ?

I have a 2004 Accord Ex that need rear brakes. This is my first time changing brakes on a Honda. Got everything off and I'm trying to push back the piston in caliper with a C clamp and it wont go. Do I need a special tool?

Old 01-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default RE: Brake ?

If the inner pad has a few nipples that fit into the piston it needs to the screwed into the caliper clockwise. There is a tool made for this, that could be purchased at your local shop, but you can surely fabricate something as well. You need to keep good possitive pressure on the piston while threading in. Make sure that you line up the piston with the nipples on the pad prior to assembly.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if it is a cross piston like TYTALEX said,, get a screwdriver, put it sideways and screw in the piston , that's what i use ,,,If a straight piston, a c clamp should do the job..

Old 01-17-2006, 07:06 AM

yea if you see a indented line across the face of the piston, then it does need to be screwed in. COUNTERCLOCKWISE though, youll figure it out. now if it is flat piston, you may just need a better tool (like a piston compressor). now if you let the pads go way down and the piston is fully extended, it is going to be a serious bitch to push it back in. here are some pointers.

put the caliper back on and but the two bolts on just hand tight that hold it on, its an 8mm that will crack that bleeder valve. dont use the box end of a wrench or you will probably strip it, because for whatever reason, that metal is not very hard. if you do strip it, let us know i have dealt with that bull**** before. ok now after that is cracked, also crack the nut that holds the brake line on the caliper. now take the caliper completely out, and then squeeze it with that c clamp, youll notice its about 5000 times easier with the caliper removed.

let us know how it goes though i am curious

lightshow

Old 01-22-2006, 11:33 PM
PCKID
Unregistered

I used good positive pressure with the C clamp and it screwed in ok. The key is to have the C clamp strait and perfectly flat on the piston's head.

Thank's Folk's

Old 01-23-2006, 11:14 PM

yo Lightshow ,, i hate to do this to you pal , but i have to correct you,,,,,,,,,,you screw the piston in CLOCKWISE ,,