General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Booster Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Default Brake Booster Compatibility

I have a 1985 Accord and the brakes don't work at all. The car will be running, and if you depress the brake pedal, the car will shut off and die. The Ebrake works but that's it. I figured its the brake booster because it seems like the car gets a huge vacuum like because it just cuts out and dies when the brake pedal is depressed.

I'm new to Honda's and I'm having a hard time finding a replacement booster. I knew that would happen but instead of shelling out near 60-70$ for a booster, I figure I could find a booster at the junkyard but I need to know what boosters are compatible with mine.

I believe all the years 1984-89 Accords are parts compatible, but thats all in know (i think at least)

I was wondering possibly if I could get a booster off of a Civic or Prelude possibly. How can I match up the parts numbers or find ones that are compatible with mine?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check car-part.com and look for a part near your zip. If no joy try calling salvage yards and place an order over the phone. I've done this w/ good results.

Looks like about $25-$30 is as cheap as you'll find. W/ shipping you won't save more than $10-15. A new replacement may be a better deal unless you find a good buy locally.

good luck

Old 09-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

I would first consider testing to see if the booster will hold vacuum.
The car stalls when the brakes are applied because the booster does indeed use a large amount of vacuum, however the problem could well be another vacuum leak elsewhere.
Quick check is to spray around vac lines and connectors with carb cleaner to see if the idle surges when the vacuum leak intakes the carb cleaner spray.

NOTE: DO NOT spray carb cleaner along plug wires/ dist cap. etc.

Last edited by hondadude; 09-20-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Check car-part.com and look for a part near your zip. If no joy try calling salvage yards and place an order over the phone. I've done this w/ good results.

Looks like about $25-$30 is as cheap as you'll find. W/ shipping you won't save more than $10-15. A new replacement may be a better deal unless you find a good buy locally.

good luck

Its funny cause Car-Part.com does not list Brake Booster as an option! One of the few parts that aren't listed i suppose...unfortunate.

Got the booster and master cylinder out yesterday, took me almost 2 hours. I spent nearly 40 minutes on one bolt located underneath the dash and behind the pedals. The upper right corner bolt of the 4 was such a PITA beyond.

Currently having some friends dig around for me to find something, I myself have been looking though too. Gonna compare my booster with one at the salvage yard tomorrow.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by heathzx
Its funny cause Car-Part.com does not list Brake Booster as an option! One of the few parts that aren't listed i suppose...unfortunate.

Got the booster and master cylinder out yesterday, took me almost 2 hours. I spent nearly 40 minutes on one bolt located underneath the dash and behind the pedals. The upper right corner bolt of the 4 was such a PITA beyond.

Currently having some friends dig around for me to find something, I myself have been looking though too. Gonna compare my booster with one at the salvage yard tomorrow.
You didn't look closely enough on car-part.com. The part is called "power brake booster".

Yes, those inside retaining nuts can be challenging. I've found "wobbly extensions" to be useful.

good luck

Old 09-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

You already have it out but check the one way valve in the line running to the booster...You said you have no brakes but also when you push the pedal the engine dies?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
You already have it out but check the one way valve in the line running to the booster...You said you have no brakes but also when you push the pedal the engine dies?
That is correct, the while engine running when the brake pedal is depressed the engine dies. Seems to be a large vacuum leak and the suspected reason is because the booster has a large leak in it.

I'll check that vacuum line again, but i remember it being clean and free of cracks and the sorts.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You didn't look closely enough on car-part.com. The part is called "power brake booster".

Yes, those inside retaining nuts can be challenging. I've found "wobbly extensions" to be useful.

good luck
Touche. You were right, suppose I got a little lazy right there or forgot the other name for it. I found it listed, thanks a lot!

I haven't had the best experience with wobbly extensions but I'll give it a go again when i get back to it.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 AM

Car works great now. It was the booster that was the problem.

I ended up taking a booster and master cylinder from a late 80's Civic. Put it in my car (again a real PITA with everything in the way) but managed. Bended the brake lines a little bit to get it to fit as in the Accord the brake line holes in the master cylinder are horizontal and on the Civic one of the brake line holes in the master cylinder is at about a 45 degree angle.

Working all good now though. First time driving/owning a manual. Love the 5 speed.

My other car is a 82' Datsun 280zx. Great car, though its auto and I see why people cringe at that now as when I drive my Honda the manual is highly enjoyable (at least right now). Enjoying the change.

Thanks for the help guys.