General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticking front Brake 2001 Accord, Booster Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Default Sticking front Brake 2001 Accord, Booster Problem?

I have sticking front brake ( drivers side) on a 2001 Honda Accord, 4DR, 5MT with 165,000 miles. I replaced the caliper for a 2nd time this year since I thought I had put on a faulty aftermarket caliper on the first go around. I have also replaced the brake hose. After driving the car for awhile I raised the front end to test the drag on the wheels. The drivers side wheel definitely has drag on it. If I deplete the vaccum on the brake booster ( pump brake until pedal come high with a very stiff feel) the drag is released. That points me to a faulty brake booster. I have tested the brake booster using a method suggested in one of the repair manuals (clinton or haynes). With power off I pump the brakes so the pedal becomes stiff and high. When I turn the car on the brake pedal returns to the normal height and stiffness. Per the manual this indicates that the booster is ok. Is there anyone who can confirm that I should replace the brake booster or look at something else as the cause of this problem.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

This has appearance of problem w/ the gap between the master cylinder (MC) and brake booster push rod being too small. This inadequate gap does not allow MC to completely relax and as brake system warms, the brake drag increases.

If MC has been replaced at some point, this is very likely to be your problem. If OEM MC, it would be unusual but not impossible.

The fix is to adjust the gap slightly larger. It is not a fun procedure and requires modifying a 12pt closed end wrench to adjust a nut on the brake pedal to increase brake pedal free movement and relax vacuum booster pushrod. Procedure is described in some online references which I don't have handy at the moment. PAHonda may have that reference. Search "master cylinder" for previous discussions.

good luck

Old 08-11-2009, 06:49 AM

I made the adjustment last night using the procedures below.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/maste...djustment.html

The modified wrenches were necessary.

I did an initial road test and it appears that is has corrected the problem. Since it is my son's vehicle I will have a chance to test it further this weekend. Thank you for your help.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Glad it worked out.

Did you manufacture the wrenches similar to the tegger.com proceedure?

Was a replacement MC the ultimate cause of this problem?

good luck

Old 08-12-2009, 02:45 PM

I did manufacturer the wrenches per the teggar.com instructions. I made them when I replaced the MC about 2 years ago. There was 1 year period that I did not have the dragging issue ( or at least appeared I did not have the dragging issue) after I replaced the MC. I might have been on the hairy edge of the adjustment when I replaced the MC. At the time it took me several iterations before I got it right.

Thank you again

2001 Accord