General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Brake Light

I have a Honda Accord 2000 EX 4 cyl. sedan with around 70K miles. A few weeks ago the Red brake light symbol came on the dashboard. I don't hear any squeaking sounds and it isn't hard to brake. I checked the brake fluid level and it is not under the minimum. The brake light seems to come and go on every so often. I replaced my brakes about 2 years ago. I didn't really think much of it, until a couple of days ago the yellow ABS light went on the dashboard, but I haven't seen it on since. What do you guys think the problem is, is it depleted brakes, close to low fluid or something else? What can I do to figure it out before I take it to a mechanic?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

On many Honda/Acura vehicles, this problem was caused by the screen insert in the brake reservoir. The bottom of the screen has a centralizer rintg that apparently forms a seal when it's cool/cold, and cause the fluid level to artificially drop, probalby when low already. If this problem usually goes away after 5-10 mins of driving, the seal problem is very likely.

The fix is to cut V-notches on opposite sides of the centralizer ring to prevent the seal from forming.

good luck

Old 11-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Two separate warning lamps:

"Brake Lamps" is warning you about burned-out bulbs in the rear lamp clusters.

"Brake" is warning you about parking brake and/or brake-fluid level.

Which one is it?

Old 11-22-2010, 03:57 PM

Mine does the same thing since it has gotten colder out the ring thing is the best possible solution. It really isn't anything to worry about unless it says on the whole time. But if you want to fix it just do like Texas honda said and cut v's in the ring and it should go right away.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 AM

My "brake" light intermittently goes on and off. Brakes are good, fluid level good, pumping brakes does not get light to go off. Someone suggested the emergency brake's cable may be loose...thoughts? 2000 Accord SE 128k

Old 03-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Check the float-switch in the cap of the brake-fluid reservoir. There's a mesh screen insert inside the reservoir. Sometimes the screen gets warped & the float drags on it. There might be a re-designed version of that screen.

If it's caused by the handbrake, then it's probably not a loose cable. More likely it's the little switch underneath the handbrake lever. That can get bent or loose or ???

Old 05-11-2011, 03:53 AM
Default Instrument Panel BRAKE light

Today my 2003 Accord EX, (157k miles), Instrument Panel BRAKE light illuminated. I looked in the Service Manual and checked the fluid level, checked the electrical connections, checked fuses and checked the ABS connections at all wheels, (the BRAKE light was on, though, not ABS). I then, Googled and the 1st thing found was fluid level; not the solution. The 2nd was the fluid level sensor / float. Following the directions from a PDF file link I found, I emptied the reservoir and removed it. The float was not stuck, as I could hear it moving inside the reservoir when I would turn the empty reservoir upside down and back upright. I connected a continuity tester to the reservoir's fluid level switch, capped the nipples on the bottom of the reservoir and put the cap on and put fresh brake fluid in it. The only, way the continuity tester would loose continuity was if I turned the reservoir upside down, forcing the float to move to the top of the reservoir, the float would not 'float' to the top of the reservoir when positioned in its correct, upright position. I decided to dis-connect the fluid level sensor and deal with the brake fluid level the old fashioned way; visually, inspecting the brake fluid level. I thought that maybe someone else might, find this helpful. - Mike