General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Slider65
Unregistered
Default Brake lights not working

I recently was given a '91 Accord from a family member, however it had been in an auto wreck and the previous owner had jury rigged the rear brake lights to get them to work. Basically, he ran a wire from the rear window brake light to the brake lights in the back. Recently they stopped working, I tried stripping out the wires and re-conecting them, tried connecting the wire running to the rear brake lights "above" the rear window light, replaced the fuses (even though it did not appear to be blown, and the rest of the rear lights work correctly), The best I have managed to accomplish is to get the rear brake lights to come on when the headlights are turned on, however, they won't turn OFF either, they are on continuously which obviously does me no good. Tried taking it to the dealership for repair, but I have no warranty, and it would cost me more than the car is worth to have them completely re-wire the rear end back to manufacturer's specs. (All they would offer to do) Anyone have any ideas as to what this problem could be, or how to resolve it?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

So the center stop-light works? That rules out a problem with the brake-pedal switch.

I don't know wiring details for 91, but go to the DIY area & look for a thread about repair manuals. They're a pain to use (no index) but it might help you.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

The wiring diagram will help if you choose to rewire the car yourself. The electrical chapter in the manual you can download is 16.

You can get a new wire harness and install it yourself. It is $190 at some online sites. You can call some junk yards to see if they have one and that should be less expensive.