General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Accord 2.4 Warm Start Issue Continued

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 08:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2010 Accord 2.4 Warm Start Issue Continued

Hey guys,
I posted a thread a little while ago about my 2010 2.4 Accord w/ PZEV setup. I replaced the starter about a month ago, and spark plugs about 2k ago. It starts up fine when cold (cranks for about 2 seconds), runs great afterwards, but when I try to restart it after it's been warmed up
(go inside a store for 10-15 min. and come back), the crank time is basically double: 4-5 seconds. A member (Redbull) here suggested replacing the ignition switch, which I did, but it apparently didn't solve the issue. I also tried a new air filter, but also to no avail. I have discovered that when I'm in the warm start scenario, if I double cycle the key and then try to start it, it behaves just like a cold start would. This leads me to believe that double cycling the key is allowing for proper fuel pressure to build up in the rail, and so allowing it to start more easily. The odd thing is that if it's warmed up and I let it cool down for about 30 min., it starts up fine. For me, all things are pointing to either a fuel filter or FPR, but my question is why is there only longer cranking when the engine is warmed up? I had a FPR go bad in a car years ago, but the issue occurred for both cold and warm starts. At this point, I'm planning on setting up a gauge to test the fuel pressure with just the key in the ON position and watching to see if the pressure drops. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

I was thinking fuel pressure with the same questions you had as I was reading through your post. Post the fuel pressure results on a cold engine, cold engine after priming, and the same for a warm engine to see what is happening with your fuel pressure.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the feedback. I'm waiting on a master fuel pressure tester kit from Ebay that has all the fittings and hose setup that I will need. I was doing a little research on this, and it looks like the PZEV setup (CA) has different fuel system components than the federal emissions system. The FPRs are different according to Honda: 17052-TA0-L00 (CA) vs. 17052-TA00 (federal), as are the fuel pump assemblies, and the fuel filter assemblies. Also, the PZEV has a fuel pressure damper mounted right on the fuel rail whereas the federal does not. Do you happen to know what the difference is? I'm wondering if I have to go the route of taking the fuel pump out and replacing the FPR and filter (110+40), maybe I should just get a Delphi pump assembly and drop it in for $160 instead of playing around with taking the OE pump assembly apart. Any thoughts?

Old 02-21-2021, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

It would be good to have a shop manual for your car (I don't have one for 2010). If the Calif car is supposed to have different fuel pressure vs. 49-state, that information will be in the manual.

About the assembly, if the price difference is that small, I'd go for the whole assembly. But I didn't realize Delphi was a supplier, so maybe that's not really OEM and therefore might not work properly with the PZEV engine??

Old 02-22-2021, 04:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, Jim, for your thoughts. Fuel pressure is the same for all models of the Accord for that year. I just wasn't sure what Honda was doing differently for the PZEV model as there are different part numbers for it as compared to the federal emissions package. Delphi makes a pump for the care as well as several other manufacturers. some of which list that it is compatible with the PZEV model.