General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake line problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Default Brake line problem

Hello, i have a 99 accord, on my way to work this morning, i lost my brakes about a mile from work. after looking under the car it seems it is leaking about halfway down the car on the drivers side. i presume this is a steel line, but i am not sure. I dont know if there are any connections at this point, or if it was just a line rupture. the undercariage has a protectany on it, and plastic over the lines, so i wasn't able to see exactly what it was. The problem i have, is there are no service stations for about 38 miles or so. Is there a temporary fix or a quick solution to get it home so it can be looked at. Any help at all would be awsome thank you.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Driving without brakes is dangerous. Unless you can find the leak and repair it, you should get the car towed. Risking your life and others isn't worth it.

Look for leaks at the brake master cylinder.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:20 PM

i know where it is, it is half way down the car bascially by the drivers door, under a plastic shield. i just need a temp fix to get it to the shop

Old 05-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

You will have to remove that plastic piece. Be careful working under there, because the fuel lines run through there. Make sure you are working with the proper line.

On my friend's car, we cut out the bad section and used a piece of replacement brake line that he bought from a parts store. I remember using the dremel to cut the bad section of brake line out. Then we used some kind of compression fittings to attach both ends of the line.

If this was my car, I would only use this as a temporary fix.

Another option is to pinch off the line that is broken then drive with 3 working brake calipers. You may be able to do this at the master cylinder. The parts store may have a fitting that can seal a line. You will have to check with them.

No matter what, drive slow. Use the E-brake while braking to be as safe as possible. If you can not stop the car, then do not drive it.

I really think that you should have it towed.

Also, you will probably need brake fluid, because there is probably air in the brake lines. You will have to bleed out at each caliper.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:41 PM

is there an easy way to get that plastic piece off?