General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake pad and rotor suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default brake pad and rotor suggestions

I searched but couldn't find any recent posts.

I have a 2011 accord ex I4 sedan.
I plan on doing front and rear pads, rotors all at once.

I am in the midwest so there are quite a few days of below zero weather, freezing rain, rain. In the summer it gets quite humid.
I don't want to spend thousands on pads and rotors.
I would like something that stops well in all weather conditions and doesn't create a lot of brake dust.

Previously I have always used wagner thermo quiet pads but I am open to suggestions.
This is my daily driver and will not be run on a track.

What pads and rotors do you have and would you recommend them.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I always liked the Wagner TQ pads as well, but lately I switched over to the Raybestos Advanced Technology and they seem to wear slowly like the Wagner pads do, but they have a bit more stopping power.
I have had good luck with the Centric E-coated rotors. The only thing was that the inside (vanes) of the front rotors started rusting after 2 1/2 years. Not trashed, but visible.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

This can turn into a heated discussion depending on the application. If this is just a daily driver and your are not doing racing, then something like the Wagner Thermoquiet pads are good. I have used them on my parent's and grandparents vehicles and had no complaints.

Do you have any vibration when you brake now? You may want to measure the thickness and runout on your current rotors before buying new ones. If the current rotors are in spec, then leave them. At most, have them machined on the vehicle.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:45 PM

I just spent a while researching this for my own car and the ricer in me went for powerstop slotted and drilled front rotors and semi metallic pads and centric rear pads. The front brakes squeak. But the car stops beautifully. Smooth, responsive. And it really just cost me about $110 in parts (not including the bearings and hubs as I have idiotic captive rotors).

So centric/stoptech seem pretty good. If you're not racing and looking for longevity go with ceramic pads. Brembo is good too. Smooth rotors over slotted are best for normal driving. Slotted will wear pads faster and drilled will crack.

^For the cost and effort of machining the rotors, replacing them is usually better, especially in rust prone areas.

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 06-12-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

There is no vibration. The brakes are fine for at least 6 months. I am just looking for something with a little more stopping power. I will check out stop tech. I also heard to checkout hawk and s pro. I don't mind paying a few hundred more for more stopping power. The drivers here are crazy. Cutting you off and switching lanes without signaling. Just last week I was almost ran off the road.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:01 PM

If you want good stopping power with a good budget I would recommend brembo or stop tech brake discs and semi-metallic pads. While the ceramics last longer, semi-metallics will cool down quicker and bite down well when cool or wet. If you wanna splurge you can go for slotted rotors.

I'm not incredibly experienced with brakes but from what I've put on my car, seen on other cars, and read- those two brands are pretty good. Look around on amazon or ebay for deals.

A brake flush once your fluid starts getting dark is always good. And that is done with a power brake bleed to get air out of the system.

If you're looking for more you could try braided steel brake lines at the calipers. (but thats above and beyond really).

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 06-16-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Stopping isn't all about the brakes, better tires suited to the conditions and your driving style makes a significant difference in stopping distances and handling.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Your car is already equipped with ABS with electronic brake distribution, and Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with traction control/brake assist.

I have an 8th generation Accord EX. I just run with the stock brake pads and rotors. IMHO, changing the tires is where a significant improvement in stopping and handling can be gained.

If you're going to keep the stock wheels and suspension, I wouldn't be spending much on the brakes, as IMHO, the system is more than adequate. If you want to go with aftermarket brake pads, ceramic compounds are good. Akebono and several other makers have good pads.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Those are some good points.
I do want to go aftermarket pads. My Michelin tires are brand new and they have pretty decent traction. I just want a little more bite for the brakes. I see quite a few using stock rotors but aftermarket pads. I want to try something other than the Napa or honda brand.
I will check out akebono too.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 PM

If your brakes will activate the ABS, they work as well as they can IMO. I have always used the stock pads, because they never make any noise, and stop the car as fast as the Michelin tires can. I replaced the stock rotors with NAPA UP rotors with the coated hat and vanes, just to lessen the rusty look. Working very well with 20k miles on them so far. How much brake squeal are you willing to put up with, for grabbier brakes?

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 06-16-2014 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: brake pad and rotor suggestions