General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake/tranny problem-need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 01:33 PM
lilshoreed
Unregistered
Default brake/tranny problem-need help

Hi All,

I'm the "little old lady" of legend. I have a 3 year old Honda Accord EX with 22,000 miles. I'm "of an age" where my main trips are to church and the doctors' offices. (O the glories of the "golden years". Gold for the doctors!!) That aside--my hubbie and I are both retired and loving it. You know there has to be a "BUT." On occasion, as I am approaching a red light and slowing down, the car jerks and takes off. The force of the forward motion is so big that I find I must shift into neutral to get it to stop. I am unable to reproduce this problem and the dealer tells me that nothing is recorded on the car's computer. I was a programmer and systems analyst for almost 50 years and I can only conclude that whoever wrote the program for the car's computer did NOT put a test in it to recognize this problem. The good news and bad news: no one else will drive my car.
Anybody out there recognize this problem?

HondaLil

P.S. The dealer charged me $46 to run the diagnostic which found and fixed nothing. HELP!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: unstoppable

Hi lil!!! Welcome to HAF!!!

Please put your car's year, trim, # of doors and transmission in your signature. It helps people help you so that we don't have to search for the type of car that we are giving advice on.

This problem sounds like something that I had on a car a while back. The problem on mine was a bad "lock-up" solenoid on the transmission (assuming an automatic tranny). In my case, as the problem progressed, the car would stall when I stopped and like you described, I could keep it alive by shifting into neutral. Aamco told me that they wanted something outrageous like $2000 to open the tranny and diagnose the problem, so I took it to a small shop and it cost under $200 repared and out the door.

Has this caused the car to stall?

After you fix your signature, you will find an abundance of help on this forum.

by the way - at 22k miles, your powertrain should be waranteed by the dealer and you should be able to have the $46 charge reversed.

Also, a thread title like, "Brake problem, need help" would be more effective. "Unstoppable" might not get as much attention since people will think that the thread is from a teenager bragging about a race ...... that's what I thought before I looked. You can request this change be made by an admin.