General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake warning light issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question Brake warning light issue

BUMP. Please see below. Researching this problem I found out that the my brake lighting issue was caused by water in trunk. I was told it would be easier to wire a positive wire to the right brake light and center light. Anyone has an idea on this and could explain exactly how to do the wiring?

My brake lamp warning light has been coming on periodically even though the brake lights worked fine. Then last week, the center and passenger side brake lights stopped working. Of course, I didn't know it until a police officer brought it to my attn since the brake warning light was acting flaky anyways. I took it to my mechanic. He check the bulbs, the sensor the passenger side brake light fits into and replaced the wire harness that are attached to the bulbs of the the passenger side brake light. The warning light is still coming on. Any ideas?

Last edited by chillnndc; 09-10-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: New information
Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Theres 2 different brake warning lights.

One says BRAKE and it comes on with the handbrake. This one also warns about low brake fluid in the reservoir. Sometimes the problem is a bad float-switch in the brake-fluid reservoir.

The other warning lamp says BRAKE LAMPS. That one works by comparing wattage in your brake light bulbs. Sometimes people have replaced ALL the brake lamp bulbs just so they are matching wattage, matching age, etc.

Look for loose ground wires back there also.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

I finally noticed you posted a visitor message for me (I don't look there very often).

Hi Jim,

Do you have a brake light wiring diagram for 1990-1993 Honda Accord EX. At one point the center and right brake lights stopped working, but the mechanic fixed this. The brake LAMP warning stays on and the mechanic has check the sensor and the wiring harness. I read on here that moisture in the truck causes a short in the brake light wiring and it is best to run a positive wire to the lights. I am not sure how to do this or to tell the mechanic how to do this. Thanks
NO I don't have a wiring drawing. Check the "manuals" thread for a downloadable manual. Did you look at differences between bulbs side-to-side?