General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Knocking Noise Honda Accord 96

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Exclamation Loud Knocking Noise Honda Accord 96

96 accord wagon, 2.2 non vtec. Ok I am really needing some help. I am a Nana (so please play nice) and don't know squat about cars, but found you guys and I've been telling my guys (my son and dad) that are working on my poor car about you and how you might be able to help us figure this problem out with my car that has us stumped! Here goes:
Car started out making a knocking noise in the motor, son looked at spark plug tubes and they were full of oil so he said we needed to change the valve cover gasket & rings. We were going to bring it back to him the next day to get that done (he is a mechanic by trade) and BAM! the timing belt broke. Soooo…here is what we have done, Replaced the valve cover gasket & O rings ( no more leaking oil into the spark plug tubes), changed the timing belt, spark plugs, water pump and ALL valves because 14 out of 16 were bent.
Went to test drive it today, sounded fine and ran fine for about 10 minutes then started knocking really loudly. I could tell when driving it that it was not getting gas good and when it was idling the rpm gauge was moving up and down with nobody pressing the gas. Smelled rubber burning but the only smoke was coming from underneath in the middle of the car between front and back seats around a exhaust pipe connection. It reminds me of a old bicycle, playing card and clothes pin trick with the noise but louder. ;o). I did video the motor running but not sure I know how to upload it. If you want me to email it to you so you can listen I would be thrilled to have any help I can get. I have driven his car for 182K, raised three kids and two grandkids in it and I am not wanting to let her go.Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by PAhonda; 09-15-2011 at 04:12 AM. Reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KrOGeQ4WN0
Old 09-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

I removed your email address from your post. Under your user cp, you can allow people to email you through this site. Posting emails can attract spammers to your email address.

The link you posted is not working.

You said your accord is an EX, but it has a non-vtec motor? Was the original vtec motor replaced with a non-vtec?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

In order to change the valves, the head must have been removed. How about damage to the tops of the pistons(from valves)? If any of them were hit very hard, maybe you need to check for damage to the rod bearings or wrist pins??

Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 AM

P9140002 - YouTube Well here is the video with the knocking. My son took it apart today at his shop and it has to have a new engine put in it. The main bearings are shot. He said the crankshaft was gone. Now I am looking for a used engine! Thanks for your help and just knowing you guys were here was comforting. This car is gonna live forever if I have anything to do with it, she is too special to me.