General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 02:13 AM
Question Brakes

I just bought my 2nd, 5th gen Accord Coupe. This one is upgraded EX from my first that is an LX. My new one has ABS 4wheel disc brakes...yeah!!! I'm doing a lot of work on this one. Mostly cosmetic, but it does have a couple major mechanical repairs to be done. One is, of course...the tranny. I just replaced the clutch in my other one and now I buy this one and she needs a new transmission. However, at the moment it's not totally impaired. So the transmission will wait a bit on.

She's in dire need of brakes! Obviously I'm replacing all the way around. I know I need pads. I'm also going to replace all 4 disc rotors. I'm not sure of the condition of the calipers yet as I still need to get the wheels off and go from there. Here are my questions...

Pad material...what would you suggest for everyday normal driving?

Rotors...OEM, Performance, or Elite? Smooth, slotted or drilled?

Calipers...Should I get any repair parts and replace any pieces of the calipers?

Brake lines...replace or how to and what to check for signs of needing replacement?

I'm looking at purchasing parts from either Amazon or Rockauto.com. Any other suggestions?

I'm also having to replace the front and rear motor mounts the side mount seems to be fine. Is it necessary that I replace all or just the worn ones?

Maybe a list of part #'s?

It's a 2001 Accord EX Coupe, 2.4 vtech, automatic trans

Old 07-27-2017, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

A few comments in no particular order:
  • If your car is a 2001 Accord, then it is a Gen 6, not a Gen 5.
  • For pad material for everyday driving, no need to get anything expensive, I would look for low dust organic pads which are available from most sources. I would also avoid ceramic as they can be noisy and often don't provide full stopping power until they've warmed up a bit.
  • Regarding rotors, drilled and/or slotted do not provide any benefit, and can actually slightly reduce your braking power. Said another way, go with smooth blanks, Centric is a good brand and they paint the "Hat" so it won't get all rusty on you.
  • Inspect your brake lines for rust; the lines on my 2001 looked rusty along the firewall below the master cylinder, and no sooner had I noticed that then they gave out on me one day on the way home from work.
  • You can replace motor mounts on an as needed basis, no need to replace them as a set.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:52 PM
Talking

Thank you for the info. Centex is actually what I was looking at. It seems if you have to patience to shop around you can get brake and rotor kits, but it's actually cheaper to buy everything separately. My motor mounts are on their way. Only paid $36 for both front and rear with the hydrolic line and free shipping.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:53 PM

Oh and my other accord is an 02 LX coupe with manual trans.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

They're both 6th gens. On my wife's car (a 2000 Accord sedan), I stepped up to some Raybestos brand rotors for it as I'm running Centric brand rotors on my Geo Prizm, and it feels like it's got a warped rotor already. The price was only a couple of bucks more. I also went with some lower cost ceramic pads, as I wanted the rotors to live a little longer. I got my parts thru Rock Auto, as they had the best price for most everything I've needed. I've also used them for sway bar end links (MOOG's problem solver parts) and sway bar mount bushings for both ends on both her 00 and my 99 Accord sedan. I've gotten my valve cover gaskets and timing belt kits from them too.