General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! F23a swap to h23a

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Smile Help! F23a swap to h23a

Hey guys,

So I have a 98 Accord ex 5 speed, that has a f23a motor that blew 2 days ago, I'm on a $1000 budget and some what of a time limit to get it fixed. So here's where my dilemma is. HMO wants $794 shipped for a f23a and I found a place in lynnwood,wa ( which is closer to home) that whats $800 for a h23a. All my friends are saying I should to the h23a swap and have bugged me about it since I bought it, now that I have the chance I kinda wanna do it, I just have so little info and knowledge how to do it and how much it will cost to do it. So with that said how hard is it to do the swap and what do I have to do for the swap? I'm pretty good with cars mechanical wise but wiring, computer, tuning stuff not so much. I have friends that can do that stuff.

Thank you for your help and baring with me.

p.s the motors I've been looking at are between 40k-60k miles. would assume paperwork will be included?

Old 07-25-2017, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

What are the state laws where you live?

Then if you are really on a 1K budget, a straight F23 swap will get you closer to that.......add an PCM to properly run the H, you really should add a timing belt "job" to any motor in this year range.

Just my two cents.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 PM

State laws for what? I live in Washington state.

Yeah I have 1k to spend and there is a $6 difference between the f23 and h23 I just dont know what all has to be bought if I buy the h23?

Old 07-25-2017, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

There are some states that won't allow you to register a vehicle if you swap to a different engine.

Poorman was saying that swapping with the f23 will get you closer to your $1000 budget, since you should do the timing belt.

The H23 will require a PCM. I'm not sure what motor mount will work or the modifications for the wiring. Hopefully someone on here has done that swap and can post some details.

Not sure what the installation cost would be. You never mentioned if you were planning on swapping the motor yourselg.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

For more info on doing an "H" swap, go to w w w .6thgenaccord dot com and do a little searching over there as there's several people that are driving 6th gen Accords with H22's and H22a's, not to mention 3.0's and 3.2's with 6 speed conversions.
I've done some reading on doing the swap, and you need to keep in mind that it's not just an ECU change to get it to run, but also a conversion wiring harness is needed. Or you have to buy a stand alone (or piggy back) ECU set up with it's own harness to get the engine to run. Without either, the engine will run, but be limited to 3200 rpms (trying to run on the F-23 ECU). This doesn't take into account the need to replace 1 or more engine mounts to use the "H" motor. Several of the guys spent 2 weeks (they had everything they thought they needed for the swap)to 2 months or more getting the "H" motor up and running correctly.

For a limited budget, with time constraints, I'd go with an F23 replacement engine, and be done. Just my take on it.