General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes Acting Strange

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Default Brakes Acting Strange

I just replaced all of my rotors ( even the captive front rotors ) and I was horrified when I started to get a brake pulse about 1 month afterward... and I don't drive very fast where I would need the brakes much.

The pulse seems more in the steering wheel than the brake pedal. Could it be something other than warped rotors??

Old 10-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Possible loose/worn tie-rod ball jt, upper BJ, or lower BJ. Check wheel for looseness by pushing/pulling at bottom and side of tires. Any looseness is cause to investigate further.

good luck

Old 10-18-2011, 06:54 PM

Thanks Texas Honda.

I have checked the wheel for play the best I could. The passenger side upper arm is new aftermarket, the ball joints are new honda and I also replaced the sway bar bushings and links. Everything felt great... for a while until this most recent change. I don't notice much of a problem while driving, only braking.
The feeling that I get while driving is probably more of a shudder like the brakes only work every half rotation of the tire. really strange. I guess tie rod ends are more likely. Should I be able to notice bad tie rods by pushing/pulling on them?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Should I be able to notice bad tie rods by pushing/pulling on them?

Yes, any play in inner or outer ball jts could explain shudder/vibration.

good luck

Old 11-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Default CV joints???

Although I haven't identified the cause of my shudder, I did notice today that one of my CV joints on my not too old aftermarket replacement axles must be gone. I went from a series of light taps on the highway to a loud banging at just about all driving conditions over 20 MPH within a mile. worse on right turns, but still present going straight and left turns. The banging continued even as the car was slowed down "slowly" up until a dead stop. I have had CV joint issues on other cars, and I suspect this as the cause. Curse you reman axles!!!!

I am hoping that when I replace the axle or axles, this will eliminate my brake shudder.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Seems as if when the brakes were done they were not seated properly. Clean off the hub and rotor. See if the braking is better. if the boot is broken replace it or axle.