General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord AC Acting Strange

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:27 AM
Default 94 Accord AC Acting Strange

Hello, basically I decided to fix up my ac because it hasnt been blowing much cool air, its sorta cool but not enough for New Mexico. So I decided to get an r134a recharge kit, I have recharged my ac before, and it seemed to blow cooler air. Anyways, I added the proper amount, around 22oz of refrigerant, with stop leak, and it seems that the ac clutch isnt actually engaged the entire time that it should be. I turn the blower on, the AC button is green, and the clutch seems to have trouble engaging. The idle control works strange too, when the ac is off, the idle is a steady 700rpm, and when the ac turns on it tries to compensate with more throttle, which its supposed to do, but every minute or so in idle the ac clutch isnt engaged when its supposed to, and when it actually does engage the engine revs go down to 100rpm! Shakes the hell outa the car and nearly stalls. Plus, when im driving it feels like my car is always struggling from the AC sucking up power, even when I floor it it is sooo sluggish. Could I have overfilled my AC? Think I need a new compressor? It feels almost like the ac is seizing up or something and the engine is struggling to get power to it.

Please let me know what you think, or what you would do to try and fix it, any help is greatly appreciated!

-MK

Old 08-01-2009, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

When you added the 22oz of r134a, did you first remove the r134a from the system, then pull a vacuum on it to remove air and moisture?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

first step do as PA asked,,,,,,,,,,evacuate the system ,, then needs to be under vacuum for about 20 to 30 minutes then add 20 oz freon ,, and what the crap is this stop leak ???you are going to cause more issues using that ,,like plugging the exp valve for 1 thing ,,,,,you need to put dye into the system to properly locate ( using black lite)and fix the leak , if there is one ,,
if you do not have the tools have a shop do it you can get some really good deal on a/c service specials this time of the year

And yes,, i think that you overfilled the system

Old 08-02-2009, 05:23 AM

I bought 2 cans of 10oz refrigerant and a 5oz can of stop leak, the first time I charged up the AC it was empty, and refrigerant slowly started leaking out, then I put the stop leak in it, which has a dye in it and also seals up cracks. It turns out there were cracks and a couple small holes on the compressor, sealed it up perfectly. I didnt put all of the stop leak into the system, maybe a third of the can. The AC wouldnt even turn on thats how little refrigerant was in the system, so I figured it was empty. Today I got it to work properly, I had to drain some of the refrigerant, I'm guessing around 3-4oz too much were in the system. Got it blowing cool air, still not as cold as I think it should be, but then again it was 98 degrees F outside today. Also, no rough idling problems. I'm gonna ask my mechanic to take a look at it to make sure the right amount is in the system, I checked the pressure before I drained it and it was around 70 psi, I heard that 55 - 60 psi is where its supposed to be, Ill check it myself tomorow to see where its at.

Thanks for the help!
-MK

Old 08-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Drkmstr104
I checked the pressure before I drained it and it was around 70 psi, I heard that 55 - 60 psi is where its supposed to be, Ill check it myself tomorow to see where its at.

Thanks for the help!
-MK
i am assuming that 70 psi is on the low side,, it is way too high,,,,,,,readings on low side should be 20-35 ,,varies if it is very hot and very humid ..

if it is on the high side it is way too low......150-250 again,, varies with heat and humidity

when checking the pressures you need to set up BOTH the low and the high side gauges

Old 08-26-2009, 03:59 AM

Thanks for your replies, I haven't brought it to my mechanic yet but based on the information you guys gave me it would appear that previously the ac refrigerant leaked out, but the oil didnt. I didnt have anyone suck everything out of the ac system, so theres probably like 2x as much oil as there should be, and limits the amount of ac refrigerant I can add. I live in New Mexico, it was 103 deg F outside when I tested the low side pressure. Im gonna have my mechanic purge the system, and fill it properly.

Thanks again!