General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes feel like they are grinding

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:39 PM

But there's no grinding sound. It's a grinding feeling when I press on the brakes. Almost like my brakes have to go over little humps or something.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 PM

Ok, now it sounds like you've got warped rotors. If I understand this right, when you press on the brake peddle it's pulsating. If this is the case, it's time for new pads and rotors.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Grinding vs. pulsating...?

It still might be that something has ground into the surface of the rotors. Like maybe pads worn down too far. I'd pull the wheels & take a good look.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:55 PM

alright soooo i went to Just Brakes and they told me that they think it's my ABS Sensor. They said they don't know which one though. They said that my Axels are leaking grease/oil which is getting on the sensor so even if they replaced one or both of them the problem might come back.

I got my axels replaced about 2 yrs ago! So i don't know WHY they are leaking like that, but clearly they didn't do something right. Though they must have cleaned off some excess grease/oil because my ABS light is no longer on and the pedal has stopped "pulsating".

Old 09-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Have you ever gotten on the brakes hard enough to activate the ABS? Recognize that particular type of pulsation? Is that what you're feeling?

If the ABS sensor is bad, you should have the ABS warning lamp lit up. Does that lamp come on for 2 seconds when you start the car (bulb-check)?

So now we have 3 possibilities but the sensation in the brake pedal is quite a bit different for each.

- rough damaged rotors = a grinding sensation, I wouldn't call it "pulsing"

- warped rotors = brake pedal pulsates with each rotation of the wheel but it's sorta smooth pulsation accompanied by stronger & weaker braking force

- ABS system = rough clattering feeling at the pedal, not really in relation to the rotating speed of the wheels.

Sounds like ABS now that you remind me the ABS light WAS on. Axles can leak anytime they get torn by hitting a rock or something. No guarantee they'll last for xxx miles.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 PM

is it expensive to get the ABS Sensor fixed or the ABS System fixed?