General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brakes speals at touch, but stops with harder pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Tuan
Unregistered
Default brakes speals at touch, but stops with harder pressure

What could be the problem here? The rotors don't feel as smooth as when they were new.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Default RE: brakes speals at touch, but stops with harder pressure

First off, they probably aren't as smooth as new.

How long has it been since you put on new pads?? Were the rotors turned/replaced at this time?? Disc brake pads have wear indicators to make them squeal when they need replacing. It could be this, but usually the noise will not go away with harder pressure.

If the pads are not in need of replacement, it could just be the wear of the pads. Some pads contain metallic elements that will cause squealing noises. It may just go away on its own, or you may need new brake pads.

Other things beyond this could also be causing the problem, give us more information--one of the more knowledgeable techs may be able to chime with with a more detailed solution.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea you probably just have crappy pads on there. the raybestos qs are good i like them they dont squeek. if you have duralast pads on there they are just crap.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Tuan
Unregistered

The pads still have a lot of life left on all 4 wheels. I'm sure they're partially worn, but they seem brand new to me. I'm afraid you're right about crappy brakes unfortunately.

Would dirty rotors cause this? I doubt it because I also have a 2002 suv with 50k miles on it and no squeals at all. I even take this suv to the snow and drive on muddy roads without a problem with the brakes. However, the suv has larger wheels, so the brakes sit higher up compared to the Honda.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 PM

if your rotors weren't turned from last brake job then they could be the cause. I really don't think road dirt would kill a set of good rotors though. My dirt bikes go through some serious mud and dirt and it never kills their rotors...

I think it sounds like junky brake pads. Hard to see without hearing or seeing it though.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Usually the rotors will polish up MORE smooth as they're used. Are yours worn with grooves? That might be a reason to get them resurfaced or replaced.

Dirty rotors probably won't cause the noise. You've ruled out the pads wearing thin? Inboard pads too?

If you want to take them apart, you could get some anti=squeal goop to put on the steel backing plate of each pad. Some of that stuff is like grease, some other types are more like rubbery glue. That might quiet them down. But certain types of pad material are just a little noisy.

A little noise doesn't always mean they're crappy. There's a joke about that... In Germany they don't care about noise as long as the brakes work. In USA they don't care if they work, as long as they're quiet.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

A little noise doesn't always mean they're crappy. There's a joke about that... In Germany they don't care about noise as long as the brakes work. In USA they don't care if they work, as long as they're quiet.
haha ... This is very true. Have you noticed any real decline in braking performance?

Old 08-08-2006, 05:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Tuan try something.......

since you got planty of pads left,, remov ethe pads,, get a sheet of sand paper,, , lay it on a flat surface, put the pads on it and smooth the pads down,, oce all 4 pads are done.. rough up the rotors a bit with sand paper as well .both sides of the rotors of course . it would be good if you had a turning tool that you could put some sanding pad on it to do the rotors,,
anyho.. put it all together and try it...

Now if the pads are not factory they will have a tendency to squeak a lot more than Honda pads would ..