General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:50 PM
lillum111
Unregistered
Default Brakes Sticking

Hey guys Im new to this site and im hoping it will be a life saver. My 1999 honda accords(V-6) front brakes will start grabbing while i am driving. there is no normal patter, but when it does do it it will slow the car to a complete stop almost and ill have to downshift and floor the pedal. I have no idea what the problem is so if you have any suggestions on what the problem is please help me i've got to be able to get to work monday. Thanks Lombardi

Old 08-11-2006, 01:07 PM
tamb
Unregistered
Default RE: Brakes Sticking

I had the same problem with my rear brakes. It turned out to be the calipers. They get gunked up with brake dust and need to be grinded down so the pad can slide smoothly. I hope this is your problem because its a cheap fix (free) if you can do it yourself.

Tamb

Old 08-12-2006, 04:01 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: lillum111

Hey guys Im new to this site and im hoping it will be a life saver. My 1999 honda accords(V-6) front brakes will start grabbing while i am driving. there is no normal patter, but when it does do it it will slow the car to a complete stop almost and ill have to downshift and floor the pedal. I have no idea what the problem is so if you have any suggestions on what the problem is please help me i've got to be able to get to work monday. Thanks Lombardi
like it was adviced by Tamb.....chk to make sure calipers retract freely......get a c-clamp and push the capiler piston into the caliper chk to see how freely it wil go in . also make sure the caliper slides are not sticking, i have seen that at times they get rusty and stick

...have you replaced the brake master cylinder or booster recently ??

Old 08-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Just for other people who might find this while searching for thier problems...

Don't use the C-clamp method on the REAR brake calipers. That'll mess up the handbrake mechanism. On those calipers you have to twist the piston while pushing it in; & a C-clamp can make way too much force for those.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Just for other people who might find this while searching for thier problems...

Don't use the C-clamp method on the REAR brake calipers. That'll mess up the handbrake mechanism. On those calipers you have to twist the piston while pushing it in; & a C-clamp can make way too much force for those.
Jim,,,,,,Fist off thank you for the input...... I totally agree with you not to use the c-clamp on the rear caliper pistons that have a twist in pistons ,on those you CANNOT use the c-clamp method ,however some of the newer models now have regular push in pistons so it is perfectly ok to use c-clamps ,, but also i was giving him directions on the frt brakes as he said ( frt brakes grabbing )

Members....If the rear piston is slotted ( has grooves in it , cross type,) than it is a twist in piston,, DO NOT use c-clamp method to push it in,, you can use a screwdriver, put it sideways and twist piston in ( clockwise )