General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bright Orange Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Default Bright Orange Coolant?

I have a 89' Accord that I bought about 6 months ago. When I got it I noticed the coolant was this bright orange-rust color but the car had other problems that needed more attention. A friend told me it was prob some of that stop leak stuff. 2 months later the radiator started leaking (I know you are shocked), so I got another radiator from a yard and drained and refilled it 3 times (letting the car come to temp each time) and thought I got all of it out. Since then I have had to add about a quart of coolant two times and it is bright orange again. I can't seem to see any leak and there is no coolant in the oil. Any ideas on why the discoloration or where to look for my lost coolant?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It might be a chemical reaction due to leaking head gasket allowing contamination of coolant w/ exhaust gases and loss of coolant. There is a chemical test available to detect exhaust gases and gasoline in coolant. Try the test.

Other symptoms of leaking head gasket are engine missing on a warm re-start, steam (white smoke) vapor in summertime, possible oil contamination (yellow-white scum on dipstick and valve train), and overheating and bubbles in overllow tank.

good luck

Old 07-02-2009, 01:50 PM

I have no other symptoms of a leaking head gasket (thank goodness). I will probably try that chemical test though. Do you have any idea where to get it or what it is called exactly?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

could be a very rusty block...........have a shop do a full coolant flush using using the machine

as for losing coolant,, have them pressure test the system before doing a flush