General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzz Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 07:15 PM
Default Buzz Noise

I have a 2017 Honda Accord V6. When I crank the car and start driving, I hear a short (1-2 second) buzz coming from the cluster area or maybe under the hood at the firewall just left of the steering wheel. The odd part is it only happens once after I start driving and at 18mph every time. No matter how many times I stop and go again it will not make the noise. If I turn off the car and restart the car, it will buzz again at 18mph, then you never hear it again unless I turn off the car. Originally, I was thinking it was the ABS unit until I raised the hood, and it is on the right side of the engine compartment. Any ideas what might be causing the buzz?

Old 04-10-2022, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Noises can be deceiving when coming from under the hood. My best guess is the ABS module. You can pull the abs fuse and test drive to see if the noise goes away when you first reach 18mph.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:36 PM

Good idea. I'll give that a try.
Thanks

Old 04-11-2022, 07:16 AM

Update on the buzz
I located the ABS fuse, but it is attached to a very odd fuse buss bar. According to the engine bay fuse box cover, The ABS fuses are attached in line with a Buss Bar fuse. I am unable to remove only the ABS fuses. It has 3 other major fuses on the bar, 70A EPS, 60A Fuse Box and 40A Fuse box. Two of the fuses on the bar are not in use. So, I was unable to just pull the ABS fuses and test.

I tried a few more things.
Jacked up the car so the wheels were off the ground and added two jacks under the frame. Cranked the car, put in Drive and tried driving it to 20 MPHG while stationary. Odd things happened with no resistance and apparently speed sensors not seeing the rear wheels moving. So, I tried it with the traction control off. I could get to 20mph but could not hear the noise due to engine noise, etc. It was a bit noisy. Now that I think about it, I might try that again with hood, windows and the door shut and see if it buzzes. I'll update this when I do.
I also drove it with Traction Control Off which I had not tried. It buzzed just like when Traction Control was On. I did notice that it did not make the noise on that test drive with a completely cooled down engine. I had to drive a few miles, stop, re-crank and once warm it buzzed at 18 mph one schedule. So, it seems whatever is triggering the buzz has to do with engine temperature and 18mph. Like I stated before, once it does the original buzz it will not buzz again until you turn off the car and re-crank.

Let me know

if you have any more suggestions.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:20 AM

I also checked for codes. None present.

Old 04-11-2022, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe just unplug the electrical connector to the ABS unit?

Old 04-11-2022, 06:53 PM

Good idea. I'll take a look at that tomorrow and see what I can figure out.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2022, 07:45 AM

Update.
I got around this morning to unplugging the ABS unit. That solved the buzz. So, for some reason the ABS unit is making the buzz. Any suggestions on what might fix or cause it? I'm not planning on replacing it for 1 second buzz once per cranking of the vehicle.
Thinking of what might have changed to make the sound. I did bleed the brake system a few months back. Could that cause the noise?

On a side note...if you want to see how many warnings light up on your dash, unplug the ABS unit. Even light up low tire pressure light. Looked like a Christmas tree.

Old 04-15-2022, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

The buzz is the ABS motor pressuring up the system so you can have immediate abs when needed. You may want to look at the ABS module to see if a bolt securing the module is loose making the whole unit rattle. Outside of that, the ABS systems aren't easily repairable and swapping out with a new unit is very expensive.

If you bled the brake system properly, then you bled the ABS system too. You can try opening up the bleeders and keep topping off the brake fluid reservoir to ensure you have fresh fluid. It is a long shot, but might improve the noise.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:50 PM

I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the help