General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this an A/C Blower Motor problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Default Is this an A/C Blower Motor problem?

i have a '94 Accord with an a/c problem, so here it goes....

1) A/C air will not blow through the vents no matter which speed the fan is on.

2) air will only come through the vents when i have it on the "outside air" function and i am driving down the highway, so that seems to rule out a blockage..right?

3) also, i can get a very, very, very slight amount of air from the A/C if I tap on the area underneath the glovebox with something like a screwdriver. when i do, there is a slight clicking noise that seems to slow down and fade in conjunction with the amount of air lessening through the vents.

is this a blower problem? is it mechanical (like i need a new blower), or is it electrical (like i need a new relay or something)?

thanks in advance!

Old 07-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds like a blower motor issue to me...............chk the plug at the motor chk to see if you get power and ground

Old 07-03-2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
sounds like a blower motor issue to me...............chk the plug at the motor chk to see if you get power and ground
we are definitely getting power to the blower motor. the blower seems to only be putting out a VERY LITTLE bit of air and then slowly dies.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Blower motor brushes are likely worn out, causing intermittent, slow operation.

Blower on this model is very easy to access and remove from under the dashboard. Get a manual (Online Manuals in DiY section has a download). Check ebay for aftermarket blowers at good prices. I've had one running in my 94 for 4-5 yrs now.

good luck

Old 07-03-2009, 06:07 PM

ITS FIXED!!! went to a U-Pull-It salvage yard and found one. tried it out in the car and the fan spun much faster compared to the old one. a/c works like a champ now. thanks y'all for all of your help!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:09 PM

Hi dabflyboy
I had a similar problem couple of months back on my 93 Accord. The blower fan would not spin fast enough. When I set the switch to full it will rev fast for a second and then slow down. At all switch positions it would run feebly. At times it won't even turn on, and when I tap the motor area it would spin but very slow. On couple of occasions it ran well at all speeds. This intermittent behavior was annoying and for reliability reasons thinking it was a dying motor decided to replace it.Got me a new motor and took it to my mechanic and when he started the motor ran like a charm and he sent me home asking me to bring it back when ever it wouldn't run. Sine then after a couple of similar episodes, the motor has been running fine now for the last 5 months... (touch wood).
I am afraid that this may pop up again and I was wondering if this could be a pure case of a motor going bad or could it be some relay type issues.
When you replaced the motor did you do it yourself or had it done. I ventured to remove the motor and could not find an easy way to take it out and put the stuff back together and may be by some luck it is running. If you did it yourself can you please give some steps on what it took you to remove and replace.
Thanks.