General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Issues - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

If the rad and "rad support" had to be replaced I find it hard to belive the ac condensor made it without and issues. Have the dye installed but I'm going for the lines coming in or out of the condensor...the dye will tell. As far as the $72 for the dye, I'd make sure that includes the insert/injection and the testing afterwards.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I would start the car with the a/c turned off. The clutch plate should not spin with the a/c pulley. When you turn on the a/c, that clutch plate should spin with the pulley. Also make sure both fans turn on.

Leaks are hard to identify, because the R134a evaporates immediately, but the oil in the system will stay. Inspect all connections of the lines starting from the compressor for significant oil/dirt buildup.

The only way to verify a low charge is to have the system pressure tested. The easiest way to find a leak is to add R134a with a UV dye to locate the leaks.

BTW, where was the car hit, what parts were replaced on the car, and were any of the a/c components replaced?
This is what I was referring to when I said to go to AutoZone and have one of the ASE guys help you check out the system... : )

Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

So as a follow up (it's been a while, I know)... I took it to the guy i mentioned... Paid $110 total and the fix seems to be working..

So he did a dye and pressure test; everything passed immediately, the temp of the air dumping out was at 26 degrees F. Ice cold!

Being satisfied, and having the car run for 10 minutes with the UV light shining on it, he concludes it must be a super-slow leak, and proceeds to turn off the car, and then disconnect his machine... As soon as he pulls the connector from the system, it starts spewing freon and dye all ove rthe place.. he's pissed, and then drains the oil and freon back out.

He then replaced the valve stem on the high side, and filled it back up.. all tests concluded positive, and took it off the system again - this time nothing spewed out.

It's been 4 weeks, and I haven't noticed any decline in coldness, or the compressor working any extra.

All in all, a cheap fix - hope it was the only issue!