General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C Noise & Highway Stutter

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default A/C Noise & Highway Stutter

On my Accord [see signature] I'm experiencing a couple problems:

1. When I initialy get on the highway (before or after work) I accelerate to speed and then ease of the accelerator to achieve my cruising throttle position. Moments after I've settled in, the car will stumble/stutter for a brief second. This only happens when I first get on the highway after the car has sat and had time to cool. It happens every day like clockwork and there are no warning lights.

2. Just yesterday every time my A/C clutch engaged I experience a slight vibration and can hear the compressor. Does the compressor need replaced, or could I get away with just charging the system. The A/C still works fine.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Rob

Old 08-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Default RE: A/C Noise & Highway Stutter

Does the car make any other noises? Like a squeel perhaps... Does it do this with the A/C running and with it off both or only when it's running?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies

No other noises.

Problem one occurs whether the A/C is on or off. Problem two is only when the A/C is on, and only when the clutch is engaged.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 08-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

1st problem could be many things. I would try new plugs (unless they are new), air filter, and cleaning throttle body to start. Check wires by spraying water on them at night and looking for sparks (Unlikely but possible). You may have to wait until something more definitive arises to run this one to ground. It's possible the two problems are related. A heavily loaded compressor might cause a stumble w/ a cold engine.

AC vibration problem could be a high, high side pressure causing a lot of load on compressor when engaging. This is usually caused by poor heat transfer by condensor (blocked air flow, dirty condensor) or partial blocking of expansion valve. I would use a set of AC gauges and measure hi/lo side pressures while idling at 1500 rpm, max fan, recirculate, doors closed, and car in shade. High side pressure should be about 2.6*air temp in degF entering condensor in psi. (100 F = 260 psi). Low side, once car interior is cool should be about 26-30 psi. Anything over 300 psi would be a cause to investigate condensor and 2nd expansion valve. You could have a compressor going bad and dropping debris into the expansion valve causing pressures to rise.

If you have good cooling, you should see at least 35F pulldown from air entering evaporator (floor temp) and vent air temps or 80-35=45F.

good luck

Old 08-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Plugs & air filter are new. I'll have to check the throttle body.

Condensor was recently cleaned (quarter wash). I'll get someone to put gauges on it and let you know.

Thanks again,
Rob

Old 08-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Pressure washing w/ nozzle too close to condensor could bend the soft aluminum fins andblock air flow. Take a close look to make sure most of openings are clear.

good luck

Old 08-10-2007, 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: oneloudskunk

Plugs & air filter are new. I'll have to check the throttle body.

Condensor was recently cleaned (quarter wash). I'll get someone to put gauges on it and let you know.

Thanks again,
Rob
If you didn't use NGK or Denso plugs then rip out whatever you have and replace them.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

C'mon...you gotta give me more credit than that! I ride a jap street bike and a jap dirt bike. I ONLY use NGK...lol.

Rob