General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Noise on Highway???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Default Engine Noise on Highway???

After I bought my Honda the AT went out a few months later. I found another tranny and put it in. tranny works fine, shifts rough but what older auto does? Anyway to get the tranny out I had to try a few different things. I had to loosen up the engine mounts to give more clearance and jack up the engine to tilt it a little. I got it out and found out I could have just loosened up the torque converter and taken it out a few hours sooner.

Since then I have noticed that a whiring kind of like a car from a video game sound when cruising above 45 mph.

I have also heard that 3rd gen. accord use a hyralic engine mount system. Whether this is true or not I'm not a hundred percent sure.

I suspect that the resonator (which I have been told can have an effect on the noise of the intake) has an issue, or the engine mounts are the cause. I'm not sure but its really been bugging me.

and also when I turn one direction the noise gets louder while turning the other way makes the noise go away. I have rotated the tires but they are car tires and not truck tires so that should have little effect.

Ideas, Suggestions?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Engine Noise on Highway???

Hard shifts can sometimes be fixed w/ careful adjustment of the transmission throttle cable. You'll need a shop manual for your vehicle for the correct procedure. On later models, you adjust the cable to begin moving the transmission throttle lever simultaneously w/ the throttle plate movement.

Noises are tough to diagnose by correspondence. I would suggest checking the CV joints closely for any damage or possible looseness. Brakes are another possible source of noise.

good luck

Old 12-14-2007, 06:59 PM

that noise description sounds like a bad wheel bearing. did you overtorque the axle nuts?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 PM

I didn't tighten them. My brother did. I sure hope not. Any other ideas?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:05 PM

one or both front or rear can still be bad even if it was torqued properly.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:34 AM

By axle nuts you do mean the bolts that hold on the cv axles right? Would it be best to loosen them and retighten to proper ft. lbs.?

Old 12-16-2007, 10:22 AM

it may help but it may already be too far gone.

if the spindle is 24mm the torque spec = 181lb ft.

by the way, thenoise sounds like it's from the front?