General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Default Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit

Hi,
I bought a 2012 Accord, EX-L V6 Auto, last week with 24000 miles on it from a dealer. Everything is great.
Then on Saturday I took it to a workshop for the windows to be tainted. The guy left the key on the ON position for most of the time until I told him to leave it on the ACC position. After the tinted job while driving home I noticed the check engine and the VEHICLE STABILITY ASSIST (VSA) lights on. I stopped briefly and checked the error code with torque and an OBDII connector I received that very day. Toque gave me " P0365: Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit (Bank 1)". My phone's battery died so it turned off right there and I just continued home which took about 10 minutes. When I turned off the ignition and then back on both the check engine and VSA lights had clear by themselves.

So I forgot about it till this morning i connected both the OBDII and torque app to see real time MPG. I decided to check faults again and Torque still gives the error. Meanwhile the check engine light is hasn't come on.

Here is a detail Toque report

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: 1HXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Vehicle Manufacturer: Honda
Vehicle Calibration ID: XXXXX-RXX-AXXX
U

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0365: Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit (Bank 1)

Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faults

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
ECU reports no other fault codes logged

End of report.
My questions are:
1. Does anyone know how accurate Toque is on these diagnostics.
2. Should I just ignore it till the engine itself report the error it by coming on and
3. if I would like to fix it what should I do to get it fixed and how expensive should I expect it to be?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

DTC 0365 is camshaft position sensor (CMP) sensor circuit no signal. The CMP sensor detects the top dead center of each cylinder for fuel injection timing. If no CMP sensor pulsing signals are detected, the PCM detects a malfunction and stores a DTC.

No input signals from the CMP sensor are detected while signals from the CKP sensor are detected at least 300 times.

Possible Cause
NOTE: The causes shown may not be a complete list of all potential problems, and it is possible that there may be other causes.
  • CMP sensor TDC line open
  • CMP sensor TDC line short to ground
  • CMP sensor power supply line open
  • CMP sensor ground line open
  • CMP sensor failure
  • PCM internal circuit failure
There is only one CMP sensor on the car.

1. Based on the description given by what you're using, it appears generic standard info., not Honda specific.
2. Wait to see if the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and/or any other indicator lamps come back.
3. Fix can be as simple as loose electrical connector, wiring issue, CMP sensor, or a low battery charge issue.

Honda list price for CMP sensor is about $110.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
DTC 0365 is camshaft position sensor (CMP) sensor circuit no signal. The CMP sensor detects the top dead center of each cylinder for fuel injection timing. If no CMP sensor pulsing signals are detected, the PCM detects a malfunction and stores a DTC.

No input signals from the CMP sensor are detected while signals from the CKP sensor are detected at least 300 times.

Possible Cause
NOTE: The causes shown may not be a complete list of all potential problems, and it is possible that there may be other causes.
  • CMP sensor TDC line open
  • CMP sensor TDC line short to ground
  • CMP sensor power supply line open
  • CMP sensor ground line open
  • CMP sensor failure
  • PCM internal circuit failure
There is only one CMP sensor on the car.

1. Based on the description given by what you're using, it appears generic standard info., not Honda specific.
2. Wait to see if the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and/or any other indicator lamps come back.
3. Fix can be as simple as loose electrical connector, wiring issue, CMP sensor, or a low battery charge issue.

Honda list price for CMP sensor is about $110.
Thank you for your response. Do you happen to know when the CMP sensor is located and is it easy to diy?
Thanks

Old 06-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Check the electrical connector and wiring first. It may also just have been due to a low battery charge.

The CMP sensor is located on the right side of the engine, held in by one bolt. See attached pic. for location. (I will delete the image after a short while).

It is also part #14 in the attached parts diagram.

Attached Thumbnails Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit-cmp-sensor-part-digram.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-25-2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: image deleted