General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can you identify the plug/fuse in this picture??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Default can you identify the plug/fuse in this picture??

Tach drops while driving and power engine power quits for a moment, then comes pack to life. I pulled apart the steering column and looked at the wires to the ignition. everything looks good, clean, etc.

I looked at the wires coming from the distributer. everything looks okay there too.

I looked at what that I thought were the grounds that mount in a cluster to the fire wall. (I took a pic of that too). Those seem to be in place as well

Then I pulled the fuse box off, and the wires going to this plug/fuse do not look good. I was unable to ID them from my book. I started the car (after a couple tries) and then shook those wires a bit and nothing happened. However, I think I should replace this regardless.

So, what is it I am looking at in this photo?

thanks!

Attached Thumbnails can you identify the plug/fuse in this picture??-fuse-area.jpg  
Old 06-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

electric load detector. Mine look like they are in bad shape too.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:23 AM

So could that cause the issues described, and how are is this to replace.

thanks

Old 06-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know what kind of problems the ELD can cause.

You symptoms sound like a problem with the ignition control module or the 4 wires going to it are loose.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 AM

I assume your accord is a 4cyl not a V6?
(if it is a V6 I have your answer)

Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think the ELD can cause your problems. It's used to control the output of the alternator, so it might create battery-charging issues. It's also used to predict the mechanical load of the alternator, so the idle-control system can anticipate what it needs to do.

It would also throw a check-engine light...

Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 AM

It's a 4 cylinder. I need to update that on my sig line.

From ALL the research I have done on the site, folks with similar symptoms seems to have a faulty ignition switch. It's seem hard to diagnose, but base on the symptoms, I thinking I should buy one to see. (which kinda sucks, but so does the engine quitting on the highway).

There looks to also be a recall on the 97 and up. http://www.visualimpressions.ca/switch/ I should call the dealer with my VIN number. a recall is a recall right. doesn't matter if have 165k on her?

Does this look the piece I need.

Attached Thumbnails can you identify the plug/fuse in this picture??-ignition-switch.jpg  
Old 06-11-2009, 06:47 PM

So this afternoon I couldn't start the car at all. It had rained earlier so there was def some moisture. I looked at all the connections....from the distributor to the ignition switch. Everything looks to be in place.

AAA had to come and tow me. She would crank. just not catch. I wasn't getting a spark. AAA dude recommened I replace the entire distributor. However, I've read on here that in this case, with these symptoms, it's usually just the ICM.

For all I know it's just a faulty ignition switch, and I have one on the way so I will rule that out soon enough.

How exactly can I diagnose whether it's the distributor itself or just the ICM?

Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

You could check for power in the wiring to the distributor. If it doesn't even get power TO the distributor, then it's something upstream, like the ignition switch. Have to catch it "in the act".

I think there's something in the DIY section about telling the difference between a bad ignitor vs. other things inside the distributor.