General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can't diagnose. ECU problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Default Can't diagnose. ECU problem?

Hey guys, this is my first time on here and I need help. I bought a used Honda Accord 98 EX V6 engine, about 8 months ago and it's been running fine. But for the past 3 months, the engine just dies on me while driving! I crank the engine, it doesn't start and I cant engage gears, it's all stiff, but after 8 to 10 minutes, i hear a click sound and the D4 sign on the dash turns green, then the car starts and I can engage gears and move.

Also when I stop at a gas station to pump gas, I get back in, crank the engine, the ignition lights come on, but the engine doesn't start, same thing happens again. I really don't know if this has to do with the after market alarm system put in place, or as I read online, a faulty ECU which cuts off the fuel supply. But I found out when I open the driver's door while the car is stopped, with the engine running, the engine dies about 30 minute later. I took the car to a Honda dealership and I was told they do not work on aftermarket installation? And lately, I get in the car in the morning, and about 10 minutes later, the engine dies! I am at my wits end, I once held up rush hour traffic for about 10 minutes, imagine the embarrassment and risk!
Please any suggestion will be very helpful and greatly appreciated. My apologies if am not detailed enough. Thank you in advance.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Former Sponsor

If you can remove the aftermarket alarm just to rule that out as a possibility, then try troubleshooting the ECU

Troubleshooting ECU Symptoms.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely remove that alarm, because a faulty alarm can cause all kinds of strange problems.

You need to be more descriptive about how the car doesn't start. When you turn the key to star the car, does the starter spin the engine? Or will the engine not fire up (this is when the engine is running on its own and you release the key)?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Definitely remove that alarm, because a faulty alarm can cause all kinds of strange problems.

You need to be more descriptive about how the car doesn't start. When you turn the key to star the car, does the starter spin the engine? Or will the engine not fire up (this is when the engine is running on its own and you release the key)?
Thanks for your suggestion. When it doesn't start, I mean when I turn the key to the III position, it does not fire up. It makes the firing sound, like trying to start up a car with no gas in it, and in all this time, the indicator lights for the doors, battery, ABS, are all on, parking indicator too. The break pedal is hard as well. I have been thinking the alarm as well, but do you think the ECU can be at fault for this too, because it can be responsible for cutting off gas supply too. Thanks again.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Suggestion is to check what Go-parts and PA Honda are suggesting and then go from there..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 04-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have a volt meter/test light?

Be sure the battery connections are clean and tight.

Testing the elect part of the key switch when the "issue" happens is another thing that I would add to the testing list.