General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone help me diagnose my problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Default Can someone help me diagnose my problem?

Please forgive me for sounding like a moron because I know next to nothing about cars or car repair, but my 98 Accord is broken and I also have next to no money and need to figure out what the problem is so I can try to fix it or get my dad to help me fix it.

It started about 2 weeks ago, occasionally I would get resistance from the gas pedal when trying to drive immediately after starting my car. This only happened once, but almost every time I started the car. After the initial press, the pedal operated normally. Then in a couple days I noticed some light smoke or steam coming from my center two AC units. This only happened once, so I chalked it up to high humidity. Then my car started dying after I started it, but usually if i just gave it some gas right after I turned it on I could keep it going and then it would drive fine. Then yesterday I was driving home from work and my girlfriend noticed there was a similar light smoke/steam coming from my steering column near the instrument panel. Next time I tried to drive it I could not get it to start at all.

I'm not sure if all of these problems are related, but I really need to figure out how to get it running again. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 AM

stop driving it and get it to a shop. smoke means fire. if youre in a high humidity climate the steam is merely steam. does it smell like smoke?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by kyle102565
stop driving it and get it to a shop. smoke means fire. if youre in a high humidity climate the steam is merely steam. does it smell like smoke?
It has a chemically smell to it, not really like smoke. I think it is steam. I opened the hood immediately after driving and there was no sign of smoke or overheating at all.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

When you say that you could not get it to start at all, what is happening exactly?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Have a test light or volt meter? Check for voltage on the BLK/YEL wire into the dist.....sounds like the elect part of the key switch went up in smoke.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
When you say that you could not get it to start at all, what is happening exactly?
It turns over like it wants to start, but won't catch.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Have a test light or volt meter? Check for voltage on the BLK/YEL wire into the dist.....sounds like the elect part of the key switch went up in smoke.
I have no idea what you just said to me, but I don't have any of those things.

Would it still attempt to turn over if this was the case?