General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car cranks sometimes but also starts

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Default car cranks sometimes but also starts

My 93 accord is being weird and idk what to do. It wouldnt start for a few tries and then i tried feeding it gas when i was turning it over and that worked, it turned over. then i went back out to my car about 30 minutes later and it would start up right away without me feeding it. Ive looked up some possible culprits but cannot find a definitive answer. Ive seen it could be the fuel pump, fuel filter, ignitor, starter contacts, but i am not sure. If the starter or ignitor was bad would it even try to start? give me some feedback id greatly appreciate it!!

Old 05-17-2017, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Moved your post to start a new thread.

What do you mean by not starting? Also what did you do to feed it gas?

People use different terms for starting the car. When you turn the key to start the engine, the starter will crank the engine. When the engine runs on its own, you release the key. So is the starter not cranking the engine, or does the engine not run on its own?

Old 05-17-2017, 07:32 PM

so what i mean by feeding it gas is i push down on the gas pedal while cranking it and then the engine turned over and was running on its own. after i turned off the engine and then let it rest for about half an hour i went back to turn it over again and it turned over no problem without me "feeding it gas" or pressing on the gas pedal while cranking the engine. sorry if this is confusing, believe me i am very confused my self on what is going on with the car.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:34 PM

the car will sometimes crank and crank and never turn over but then after i "fed it gas" while cranking it started.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

You will need to figure out if the problem is due to lack of spark, lack of fuel, lack of compression, or no timing.

Spark is the easiest to test. Just pull a plug wire and use a spark tester. A screwdriver inserted into the plug wire and placing the screwdriver near a metal bolt will work. Search youtube for some decent videos.

Do you hear the fuel pump prime for about 2 seconds when you turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car? It is a faint buzzing/whirling noise that comes from the back seat, so listen carefully.