General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car runs like crap when cold Help Please

Old 10-02-2009, 04:43 PM
odatdamkidagain
Unregistered
Default Car runs like crap when cold Help Please

To fill everyone in. I have a 97 Accord DX that has had an engine replacement with a F22B2 motor. I purchased this vehicle for a few hundred dollars because the top end needed top be replaced (due to a broken cam shaft). I purchased a new top end put her all back together and i am having a few problems. First when the vehicle is not warmed up it feels as though it is going to stall out at low rpms, If I drive fast it is fine. Secondly I am only getting 23 mpg. I am not sure if it is related or not. I have no trouble codes and when the car is warmed up it runs fine. Please help.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Did you bleed air out of the cooling system when you refilled?

I would reset the ecu by pulling the 7.5 amp radio/backup fuse in engine bay fuse box for a minute.

If that doesn't help, then the fast idle thermo valve (FITV), IACV, and throttle body bore/plate may be need cleaned. Use throttle body cleaner.

See https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=14691 for FITV writeup.

In short. Drain coolant. Follow steps 1-9. On step 9, I would unscrew the plate and pull out the plunger. Clean the bore and plunger, then tighten it until it is snug. Refill coolant at radiator. Bleed air from the system by opening the valve on the thermostat housing. Close valve when a steady stream of coolant comes out. Top off radiator. Reset the ECU. Start it up and let it warm up to operating temperature.

The IAC unbolts from the firewall side of the upper intake. It has two screens that may be clogged up with carbon deposits.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:51 PM
odatdamkidagain
Unregistered

Well i got to the bottom of it..... FWD O2 Sensor! Who would have thought it was that simple. Car is now running good and getting around 30+mpg. Hope that this forum helps someone else out!!