General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A car sales-ish question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default A car sales-ish question

Hey there. I realize this might be in the wrong subforum, but I'm not sure which I should put it in. My apologies in advance. I made a post a bit back and got some resources on how to do a t-belt and other various seals. I'm feeling pretty confident and plan on doing the install this weekend. However, my intent is to sell the car. Assuming I do this thing correctly, what is the best way to document this kinda thing, and to negotiate work performed by self? I plan on keeping all receipts, and maybe taking photos of the event. A timing belt kit with many OEM parts cost only $130, but obviously the work performed is worth more than a mere $130. Do I just try my best to tell them the value of said service at a mechanic, and emphasize the importance of the 90-100k service?

Also, I had mentioned in a previous thread that the car is in fair / good shape, and Blue Books at $2,000 or so, but that the title is salvaged, and both airbags have been deployed. I'm trying to figure out what I should even be going for with a new t-belt kit with all the bells and whistles that go with it. My thought was to sorta push for $2k, and maybe go as low as $1500. I know that it's difficult for anyone to say given you guys can't actually see the thing, but it's only got 150k miles and still does 30 mpg or more. Any pointers would be awesome.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

I think it will be a tough sale. Most people try to stay away from salvaged titled vehicles. Also its not like 94-97 accords are uncommon, so there are a lot to choose from without salvaged titles.

As far as documenting the timing belt, I would Just show them a receipt for the parts, and offer to take the cover off and show them the new belt if they want.

Are the airbags replaced? I think it would be much harder to sell the car with blown airbags than with an old timing belt.

I would be very surprised if you could get 2000 for the car with a salvaged title.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks much for the reply. What you said is kinda what I'm thinking as well. It'll be a tough sale. So lets say that this thing Blue Books for $2000 if it weren't salvaged. What would you charge if you were me if it were salvaged with blown bags? How much would that devalue the car, even with a new set of belts and gaskets?

Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly I wouldn't waste my time doing the belt repair, with airbags deployed, you'll be lucky to get a grand for it regardless of any preventative maintenance.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Air bags can be costly to replace, I would go to the junkyard and find some for cheap and replace them if I were you.

If you try to sell it with a salvaged title and blown air bags I would expect less than $1000 and whoever would be buying it would probably only be buying it for parts.

But even with new airbags I would expect $1000-$1500 if you could find the right buyer.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hmm... that's a huge bummer, but I appreciate the honest feedback. Maybe I can return all the parts on this thing. Out of curiosity, are airbags easy to install?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Airbags aren't too difficult to install, but there are some important parts of the procedure. It would be worthwhile to get your hands on a proper shop manual.
(www dot helminc dot com)
You REALLY don't want to set those things off in your face when you're working on the car.

You might have to replace the airbag control module and/or accelerometers too. Not sure, but some of those things are scrap after they have gone off.