New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member, new(ish) ride... (In Minnesota)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Cool New member, new(ish) ride... (In Minnesota)

Hey just joined the forum, just picked up a 1991 Accord, 2 door, 5 speed manual. After 26 vehicles I finally got one I like, and needless to say, my first Honda. Will be posting pics hopefully tomorrow. Paid 400 bucks for it from my girlfriends mom, I worked on it so I know the powerhouse is almost mint for having 200k on the odometer. Not doing anything too crazy with it but I am going to give her a little refreshing (bodywork, etc). Again this is my first Honda so any advice you all could give me would be appreciated. And if anyone is near central MN hit me up if you ever want to go for a cruise. Was happy to see 15 bucks put her on half a tank lol.
Look forward to working with you all!

PS I'm a mechanic and do my own work/bodywork, so if anyone needs help on anything feel free to hit me up, and if you are around the area I work for cigarettes and beer haha.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Welcome to HAF!

You should be in good shape. Sounds like a find.

Problem areas are
1) timing belt needs to be done at 90K intervals. Has this been done?
2) Oil leaks; rear balance shaft cover oring, valve cover, spark plug tubes, oil pan gasket. Aggravating but not unexpected on 20+ yr old car.
3) Check suspension parts; sway bar bushings, all ball jts for possible wear.
4) Distributor/ignition parts wear w/ age. A new or rebuilt distributor may be in your future.

good luck

Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 PM

awesome, thanks. gf's parents took very good care of this car (was her grandmothers, she remembers calling it the batmobile when she was a young'n) i know it has new alternator, new radiator hoses, basic things like that, its been below 0 up here lately but very soon i will be taking a look at it. so far the only problems is the flexpipe, and the inside passenger door handle, i fixed it for them when they had it but i broke it putting it in lol. should be posting pics here in a bit.