General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car Security System

Old 09-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Default Car Security System

Hello,

First of all, I am really not sure if I am allowed to post this question here on this forum, esp. since this is not really about Honda Accord. I bought my car 2 yrs ago and it had the Viper300ESP auto security system already installed by the previous owner. It was working fine until a week ago. Now, suddenly the remote won't work. I replaced the battery and still nothing. I just realized though, that the status LED on the dash has been off. Although some functions of the system still work, such as auto-locking the car 30 seconds after engine-shutdown, the car still cannot be armed/unarmed anymore, one of the most important features.

So I took my car to a store that works with car security alarms and they said that the controller box, the brain of the system has just conked out. The only thing that can be done is replace the entire system with the newer one, (as 300 ESP is phased out) or just replace the controller if I can find an old one of the same sort. They said that they would replace the controller module with a newer one that will work with the existing sensors. However, some rewiring will need to be done... and they gave me an estimate of $200.

I would really like to have experts opinion on this.
Any responses appreciated.
Thanks

Old 10-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Car Security System

First I'd check to see if the system is in valet mode, disabling certain features .... like the security alarm. Look up the model number on google to see if you can find an owner's manual if you don't already have one.

If that's not it, then the brain might have died .... it's happened to me before. IMO $200 isn't a bad price.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the reply. I might sound stupid, but I actually never cared to learn this system when I got the car. I just made sure that I know how to lock and unlock it. But the system won't go into valet mode by itself, right? and in case it does, I have not been able to find the valet switch. Can the valet mode be disabled from the remote?

thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

there's probably a button somewhere .... on my last car, the LED itself was the valet button.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 AM

Every year they seem to change the valet switch, from toggle to led also being the switch to now my remote start antenna is the led and switch. Just my advise but dont through money at an old system, just upgrade. It shouldnt cost much more then the quoted $200 to get a new one.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:44 AM

Also in valet mode the led should stay lit, and blink during regular arming mode. The only time the led should go off is when your driving. You could check to see if there are any in-line fuses that may be blown. There should be one coming off the battery.