General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car shudders when gas let off

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Default car shudders when gas let off

Howdy folks,

Lately when I am cruising on the highway around 40 mph and I let off the gas, my car will shudder as though the transmission is trying to shift repeatedly for a few seconds. Other times it will shift hard. Hitting the brakes seems to stop the shuddering, but I let it go just to see what would happen once and it stops after about three (long) seconds of shuddering. None of this happens during acceleration.

This started a month ago and I took it to the transmission shop, but they could not reproduce the issue. It stopped on its own for about 2 weeks soon as I took it there and now it is happening again. Before I took it to the shop it was throwing the code p0706 (transmission range sensor circuit) but this has not come back.

Has anyone else experienced this? What could be wrong? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Shuddering in AT is usually a torque converter lockup issue.

Your model vehicle/engine is known to be higher risk for AT problems.

I did not find a P0706 listed as fault code in shop manual. P1706 is transmission range switch fault. There are a number of checks for range switch continuity that should be performed. You will need a shop manual (automanualsource.com $22) and a multimeter to check the switch continuity. Does AT gear position indicator match gear selection? If not, this would confirm range switch fault. I did not see any symptoms for trans range switch which matched yours.

A drain/refill cycle w/ Honda ATF may help. Also Lubegard has helped some w/ AT shuddering of Acura MDX's (chronic problem in 01-02 MDX's).

good luck