General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car shut off during operation, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:55 PM
jshrade
Unregistered
Default Car shut off during operation, won't start

Well, i have a 1987 Honda Accord LX. Recently i had a heard what sounds like a belt squeeking and when i get above 45-50 miles per hour the noise goes away fully, not sure if that has anything to do with the problem though. But one morning i was driving up a hill and the car just shut off and the oil light popped on. Couldn't get it started back up, it rotates but won't start. It kinda makes a higher pitched noise when you try to crank it. (almost like the noise when you try to crank a car already running). After talking to a few people, they seem to think it's the timing belt. When i looked under the engine after the car shut off, i saw some light white smoke coming from the area of the timing belt/valve cover area. It apparently had been leaking oil and coolant, so i was pretty low on oil at the time. We're also having quite a time getting the valve cover off, so that we can see if the timing belt has broken or slipped. So if anyone as any ideas, i would much appreciate it.

Josh

Old 12-11-2006, 01:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Car shut off during operation, won't start

if low on coolant and the car overheated it would sut down//////////

rtemove the oil filler cap and crank the engine ,, if the rocker arms move up and down timing belt is not broken

have you checked if you get spark and fuel ??