General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car starting problems...fuel problem??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 12:18 PM
guster900
Unregistered
Default Car starting problems...fuel problem??

So my car is a 2000 Honda Accord SE. It's automatic, not the V6. I posted about this awhile ago when it first happened, but now it's happening more frequently. My car drives fine, starts perfectly 98% of the time. But ocasionaly now it just will not start. It cranks and is certainly getting a spark, but just will not start. However, if I roll the car back about 10 feet, it will start. This has happened about 6 times now, very randomly. No pattern to when or why. It happened at the oil change place and i told them to push it back and try it.... they laughed but did it, and it started right up after two tries. This morning it happened, and I rolled it out of the garage about 10 feet. It wouldn't start in neutral, but when i put it in park it started immediatley. The people at the oil change place said it sounded like it wasn't getting any fuel... maybe a dirty fuel filter.

What do you think? Is it something wrong with the computer, or with dirty a fuel line, fuel injector, or fuel filter? Or even the fuel pump? The car doesn't seem to get great gas milage, like 27, maybe 28 at the very best, but I guess thats normal for the car. Also it will ocasionaly 'lug' after just a couple of miles of driving, but only once and only after its been sitting all nite. I don't know if its the engine or transmission, but thats also really really random, never know what day it will do it, and fairly minimul, but am afraid its leading to something bigger.

I feel like taking the car to Valvoline and getting their entire fuel system cleaner package and getting the fuel filter changed, but dont know if it would really help. Any advise would be appreciated!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Car starting problems...fuel problem??

It will be very costly to change the fuel filter in your car, it is a 'sock' on the bottom of the fuel pump pick up.
Try this for a week or so; Turn the key on and then wait 5 seconds while you put your seatbelt on, then crank the engine.
The idea is to be sure the fuel system is up to full pressure so the injectors spray ot a fine mist that is easy to ignite, as opposed to a low pressure drizzle that floods the spark plug.
How many miles on the spark plugs BTW?

Old 01-27-2007, 11:43 PM

I had this problem last summer with my 99 EX. It would start and run fine at most times. On some of the hottest days though, if I drove a short distance to multiple locations. I would come back and the car would not start. I could not figure it out so I called Penske Honda. The guy said this happens to the V6 cars sometimes. The fuel actually boils and evaporates in the rails. This may not be the case for you since the weather is colder now though. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Old 01-28-2007, 05:36 PM
guster900
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: hondadude

It will be very costly to change the fuel filter in your car, it is a 'sock' on the bottom of the fuel pump pick up.
Try this for a week or so; Turn the key on and then wait 5 seconds while you put your seatbelt on, then crank the engine.
The idea is to be sure the fuel system is up to full pressure so the injectors spray ot a fine mist that is easy to ignite, as opposed to a low pressure drizzle that floods the spark plug.
How many miles on the spark plugs BTW?
That makes sense, i will try it, but this problem is like once every two weeks at the very most. The plugs have maybe 10,000ish on them. I called jiffy lube and they said they would change the fuel filter for $50. But can anyone think why in the world rolling the car back would help? And its not like it was once or twice, but every time.