General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help please starting problems IACV, fuel, or main relay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Default Help please starting problems IACV, fuel, or main relay?

Hey guys I'm new here and I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot. Please lmk if I am.

I have been searching for solution to this but I can't find anything about it.

I hot an auto 1999 honda accord 4cyl.
So, here is what happens: When I put the key in the ignition and let the fuel pump prime it starts fine rpms jump up to just under 1400-1500 and then come down to 750-900 range which seems to be normal.

But if i put the key in and start right away the car starts for 2-3 seconds then dies immediately it does not bog or anything just shuts off.

Car has also stalled a few times while driving.

I tried cleaning IACV with break cleaner but did not help. Should I just buy new one?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by ratimand
So, here is what happens: When I put the key in the ignition and let the fuel pump prime it starts fine rpms jump up to just under 1400-1500 and then come down to 750-900 range which seems to be normal.

But if i put the key in and start right away the car starts for 2-3 seconds then dies immediately it does not bog or anything just shuts off.

Car has also stalled a few times while driving.
You may have two separate problems. The first being the fuel pump check valve. If you start the car and then shut it off, how long does it take for you to have the starting issue where you have to let the fuel pump prime? Do you usually run into the problem after the car sits for an hour or more?

As for the stalling, did you happen to notice if the fuel pump was/is running? Does it start right away after stalling or does it have to cool down some?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by basket_case
If you start the car and then shut it off, how long does it take for you to have the starting issue where you have to let the fuel pump prime? Do you usually run into the problem after the car sits for an hour or more?
It used to be that it was after driving in hot weather and stopping for an hour or two. But in the morning it starts fine.

Originally Posted by basket_case
As for the stalling, did you happen to notice if the fuel pump was/is running? Does it start right away after stalling or does it have to cool down some?
I will pay attentions to the fuel pump next time. It used to start right away but last time I had to wait 5-10 minutes.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

IACV is not the problem. It affects idle speed and idle stability only.

It could be Main Fuel Relay (MFR) is occasionally not closing and causing fuel pump to stop, since it always starts normally when you allow fuel pump to prime.

Other possibilities are leaking fuel injector allowing fuel pressure to go to zero when engine is stopped. When you immediately start fuel pressure does not have time to recover and engine dies. Does engine start again immediately after the initial failure? If yes, this may be the problem. You could test by checking fuel pressure (crack banjo bolt on fuel rail) when engine has been stopped for a while. If no spray from fuel, then pressure is zero.

good luck

Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Fuel pressure could leak out of injector (in which case you can open up the rubber intake-air duct & smell gasoline). Or it can leak back through the pump, which is supposed to have a check-valve. Or it can leak forward through the FPR, back to the tank.

But none of those would explain stalling while you drive.

Just out in left field, but easy to check... Can you get it to stall by wiggling the key?

Old 09-25-2012, 04:42 PM

So it tired messing with the key and that seemed to be the problem. Got a new ignition switch and car runs like a clock now.

I guess I was imagining some of those symptoms. Or maybe when I was letting the car "prime" in reality i was just turning the key more carefully so it was staring.

But yeah new ignition switch was the problem.

Thank all of you for help you guys are awesome!!

Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Nice to know you got it. Thanks for letting us know the solution.