General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Where is the "main relay" for fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Question Where is the "main relay" for fuel pump?

Guys,

This is my first post here on the forum. I've noticed that a few people have had idle problems that are somewhat consistent with the cars that eventually start having a hard time starting and staying running.

Anyway, my girlfriend has a 1996 Accord. I recently changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Changed the oil/filter(not that it has to do with the problem).

The car has had a little bit of a rough idle in the past but not really consistent...it was more sporadic...

Now the car will literally start up and run for about 1 or 2 seconds maybe, then just die every time. It ran yesterday and got her to work fine but then when she went to leave...just start, run for 1 second and die before you can even try and pump the gas pedal to get it to run...

Does this sound more like an electrical problem such as the relay or more like a bad fuel filter/IAC/MAF?

Thanks so much for any advice,

Donnie

Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

When you turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds.
There is no need to pump the gas pedal in a fuel injected car.
The most common symptom of main relay problem is that the car won't start with hot interior, such as sitting in the sun closed up for hours.
You could also use a test light at the Black/yellow wire of the dist. connection to be sure there is power when the key is turned on.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:45 PM

Thank you so much for the help. We actually got it figured out...it ended up being the ignition switch.

Changed it and bam...all fixed!

Thanks again,
Donnie