General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Wobbling over road patches

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Post 2011 Accord Ex-L V4 wobbling over road patches

Hello All,

I joined this forum just to post this issue.

I have a 2011 Honda Accord EX-L v4 with factory Michelin tires. I bought as a pre-owned when it was 34000 miles. The issue is there since I bought the car, but unfortunately I did not see this issue when I did a test drive over smooth roads.

Whenever I hit a small road patch or a pothole, the car makes a wobble or very small quick jumps and comes back to normal. The whole car feels like it shook. This jump/wobble is more when the car speed is more on such patches.

Recently I went on a 55 mph speed limit road with lot of road patches and the car was keep wobbling or bouncing or jumping whatever the term is. It was uncomfortable for everyone sitting in the car.

I took the issue with the Honda dealer twice for suspension issue, but they could not find anything. But the issue is still there. I didn't see this in other 2011 accord my friend has.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Ramesh

Last edited by Ramesh Rajendran; 09-14-2015 at 02:48 PM. Reason: More detailed title
Old 09-14-2015, 10:17 PM

Welcome to the forum, Ramesh

Wow, sounds like shocks... but the mileage on the vehicle is low. Is the wobble in the whole car or just from the front?

Old 09-15-2015, 09:39 AM

The wobble is on whole car... When my friend drove it, he was literally scared that the car might crash for a big pothole... And I was sitting on the rear and I was feeling the wobble (mostly towards right and comes back to left a little and then straight).. I feel like the wobble is more on the rear tires... The dealers said that a visual inspection at the shock looks good and they did a test drive and found nothing... they were not ready to accept the fault at potholes... they did not consider me serious..

Old 09-15-2015, 12:04 PM

If you really want to get to the root of the problem remove the tires from your friends car and swap them to your car. If his car handles poorly and yours handles fine it is the tires. It is hard to compare how car car handles when they are not the same, including tires. I have seen it before where the tires where the culprit, but I am not necessarily saying this is your issue, but worth trying...

Old 09-18-2015, 10:37 AM

Thanks for your replies. I changed all my tires to Michelin (since tread is totally gone) and have the same issue still.

On smooth roads, small speed bumps and any sudden high-low roads the car does not wobble and give a smooth up-down suspension. But as soon as it hits any uneven pothole or bump, the rear tires start bouncing, so as the car.

So, I went for suspension evaluation at Pep boys and they found that the rear shocks and/or struts are gone and needs to be replaced which will cost me $1000. My car is a 2011 year model and got from a pre owned certified dealer and when this happens, I feel cheated. Honda dealers did not even admit this issue at the first place when I showed them during the warranty period. Now I know why!