General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car wont go nor throttle up

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Cool car wont go nor throttle up

i have a 91 honda accord. just bought it for my teen dtr. the car started hesitating a few days ago, after being parked for two weeks, but stopped after a few miles. all of a sudden, yesterday, it stopped moving, like the tranny went out, but wouldnt throttle up. it also dumped a few oz of anti freeze when this happened. now, it wont start at all, although it does turn over. oil level, trans fluid level is normal, no burnt smell. and the antifreeze has no oil in it. not sure where to start, as this is my first honda. I know my 81 K5 Blazer inside and out, but this is all new to me. I was thinking crankshaft, or maybe timing chain??? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! and to be completely honest, this is the first vehicle i couldnt crawl under without jacks! Help!!! thanks!!!

Thank you!!!
Tami

Old 08-17-2011, 05:49 AM

Where is the coolant leak coming from ? Timing belt and water pump ever been done to the car ?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Pull the dist cap, crank car over.....does the dist rotor turn? Confirms belt is still on but NOT confirm that it is still in time.

Where did the coolant come from?

From there I'd try to figure out what is missing-fuel or spark.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If timing belt checks OK, try following checks for no-start.

If Check Engine Light (CEL) is on, get these codes (Autozone or other parts shop) and post them.
First step w/ no-start is to understand whether fuel or ignition is source of the problem, no matter what you might think is the problem.

1) Turn keyswitch to On. Does the CEL, Alt, and Oil light come on immediately. CEL should go off after 2-3 secs.

2) When keyswitch is turned Off to On, you should also hear a soft click from under the dash and fuel pump in fuel tank come on and run for 2-3 secs. Fuel pump will stop and CEL will go off at same time.

If above 2) checks show all lights are coming on correctly, and you hear the fuel pump run/cut-off, then fuel delivery is likely and ignition fault is likely.

If you're missing the Alt, Oil, and CEL coming on, then ignition switch assembly is likely faulty. Easy diy replacement. See DIY forum.

If ignition is indicated, suggest going to techautorepairs.com/ignition.html for guidance on diagnosing where igntion is failing.

good luck

Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 AM

I am almost positive it its the timing belt. The antifreeze looks as though it came from the water pump....guess I will change both while I'm there