General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start after TB cleaning: 01 Accord I4

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Default Car won't start after TB cleaning: 01 Accord I4

long version:
my gf's cg has idled low for a long time so i decided to clean the throttle body. I ended up spraying cleaning into the hole for the IACV and when i tried to start it later on the car came on, rpms went up to about 2500 for a sec then they dropped and the car completely shut off and wouldnt come back on.

I assumed there was cleaner up in the IACV so i completely removed the throttle body and IACV to clean them, replaced the gaskets (found out the vacuum hose to the IACV was cracked so I replaced that too, which i assume caused the idling issue). When i put everything back together I forgot to plug in the TP sensor and accidentally plugged the connector for the TP into the map sensor.

sooo... after getting a check engine light for that, smelling burnt gas and the car not staying on I figured out what I did wrong and fixed it. After clearing the check engine light and having it back together correctly I turned it on, the rpms went up to 2500 for a sec then the car shut off again and wouldnt come back on. I've figured out that the fuel pump isnt coming on everytime I turn the key. If i unplug the battery, wait a bit, then plug it back in the car comes on, rpms go up to 2500 then shuts off. Every time after that I don't hear the fuel pump come on unless i disconnect/reconnect the battery again.

Short version: after trying to clean the throttle body and getting cleaner into the IACV the rpms jump to 2500 then the car shuts off and won't come back on. I've noticed I cant here the fuel pump come on unless i disconnect then reconnect the battery and whenever I do that the car comes on, rpms up to 2500 then it shuts off

fuel pump fuse is fine, there's no check engine code and I can hear the main relay coming on

HELP!!! I have 2 weeks to fix this and several other things on her car before she gets back from China

Old 07-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Check that the main ground (G101) on the drivers end of the TB is connected and tight. It is listed as #16 in this pic.

Attached Thumbnails Car won't start after TB cleaning: 01 Accord I4-6th-gen-g101-loc-4cyl.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM

thanks poorman. I was actually looking at the diagram earlier in another thread you posted it in

Turns out the motor was just flooded from me trying to start it with the sensor hooked up wrong. Everything works perfectly now. Thanks!