General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No start after ERG Port Cleaning...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default No start after ERG Port Cleaning...

I can't be 100% sure that the two are related.

I've had the symptoms and CEL to show that the EGR ports needed to be cleaned pretty bad. The car died 2 times on my wife while driving Saturday.

So I pulled it in and cleaned the EGR ports today. They were all completely clogged. Once done, I started the car with no problem and let it run for a few minutes. I then took it to get a fresh tank of gas (maybe 4/10 of a mile away) and run some b12 chemtol in the fuel system to help clean the injectors and all. When I get to the gas station, the car dies, but I was already at the pump, so it didn't really bother me much. I pumped the gas and started the car with no problem. I drove it back to the shop, but on the way, it died two times. THe first time, I was actually able to put it in neutral and start it up before it coasted to a stop. The second time, I tried the same thing and it wouldn't start, at all.

It will idle perfectly fine, and then all of a sudden kill over with no warning. When you try to start it, it wont turn over. If you leave it for 1 hour and come back, you can start it with no problem and it will run for a few minutes, then die once again with no warning. Once it dies, it WILL NOT crank again.

My guess was something to do with the fuel because it's a quick die like it looses ALL power and just kills. If you're driving when it dies, the RPM gauge goes to zero and you have no response.
Another guy at the shop thinks its that spark. He took the Cap, coil, and rotor out and replaced them and it's still the same problem. He then took out some little electrical component under the coil and said I needed to replace that...but I still think it's the fuel!

Any suggestions as to what may be going on? (I reset the ECU by unplugging the negative terminal, can that cleared the CEL and one hasn't shown back up since)...

Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Swedevil
When you try to start it, it wont turn over...

Once it dies, it WILL NOT crank again.
"Turn over" and "crank" both mean that the starter is spinning the engine when you turn the key to the start position.

Reading between the lines, the starter ALWAYS spins the engine when key is turned to start, right?

If that's correct (the battery and starter are working OK) then it's either spark or fuel. When it doesn't start, can you hear the fuel pump run for a second after the key is turned to the run position, before you turn it to the start position?

It's a good thing you cleaned out the EGR ports, but it didn't have anything to do with the no-start problem.

Last edited by Roader; 07-17-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: EGR
Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The battery and starter are not the problem. It's either the fuel or spark. Opening the valve on the fuel rail gets gas coming out. So I know there's fuel to an extent. I don't know that it's enough. I haven't checked for the hum of the fuel pump, but that's what I'll do when I get in there today.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

The two are very unlikely related to start with. Just because fuel is at the rail doesn't preclude the fuelpump going south on you. The first thing to do when it won't start next time is check for spark, and then troubleshoot as necessary.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
The two are very unlikely related to start with. Just because fuel is at the rail doesn't preclude the fuelpump going south on you. The first thing to do when it won't start next time is check for spark, and then troubleshoot as necessary.

The shop checked for spark. They put a screwdriver in the spark plug wire and grounded it and had me try to start the car. There was no sparks flying, so they said there is NO spark. We replaced the dizzy, rotor, and coil and still same result. So he took off the ignitor and cleaned t with brake cleaner and then tried to get me to go buy a new one. I told him I wanted to make sure that's the problem before I start buying anymore parts. Plus it's a two day wait for them to order it and it's a $215 part. That's crazy! I want to know what's wrong before we change everything guessing what it is.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

When you turn the ignition to ON, does the Check Engine Light come on for around ~ 2 seconds and then go off?

Also check that the ground wire connections are secure, especially ground G101 (see attached).

Edit: Additionally, recheck all wire and connections to see that no wires are pinched and all connectors are secure.

Attached Thumbnails No start after ERG Port Cleaning...-ground-g101.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-17-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
When you turn the ignition to ON, does the Check Engine Light come on for around ~ 2 seconds and then go off?

Also check that the ground wire connections are secure, especially ground G101 (see attached).

Edit: Additionally, recheck all wire and connections to see that no wires are pinched and all connectors are secure.
I think the check engine light does. I'm not certai as I'm at work and can't check the car at this moment. I did however just have a different shop come and getthe car. They know a little more about Hondas then these guys and won't just guess at the problem.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 PM

Any update on this? Did you find the culprit?

My friend's has the same problem too, replaced everything like you did but to no avail, the problem still persist. Then we replaced the ignition switch thinking it might be something electrical and it worked. Problem solved. Maybe this can help

Goodluck