General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car won't start - single click

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Default car won't start - single click

1996 Honda Accord - auto transmission

Single click, car does not start. this issue happens a lot more often in hot weather.

I've taken it to a mechanic and here are the steps that have been taken.

first they replaced the starter, the issue was better for a few months, but slowly got worse (issue being better means it would happen very rarely)

next I replaced the main relay myself, no change

next the ignition switch was replaced, the issue was better for a few weeks, but slowly got worse.

next the mechanic found a cable not attached to anything (apparently it used to be connected to an alarm system that was no longer in the car). This cable was removed, and they also tightened all cables. again, fixed it for a while, but it came back

a couple of weeks ago, the starter was replaced again. they were wondering if the first one they put in was no good. when they replaced the starter again, it got much worse.

here are some additional notes. when the car won't start, a jump will almost always work (didn't one time when i was driving between cities and had stopped for gas). tapping the starter works as well, using a tire iron.

I'm at a total loss. the battery tests as good. the only thing I"m wondering is if the solenoid and the starter are separate packages in this model, or if, when bought, they come packaged together. mechanic says they're together, but there is a slight language barrier there.

thoughts? I'm reaching for straws these days!

Old 07-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Something is limiting amperage delivered to starter to point it won't turn over.

Suggest checking battery wires for a high resistance corrosion spot, crimp connection, or damage.

Check ground jumper from engine to body. If missing, this might impede current path and cause a problem.

good luck

Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM

I'll inspect the cables and let you know. thanks for the idea!