General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

new starter gives one click but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Default new starter gives one click but won't start

Sorry for this question which has been asked many times already. I've read all the posts that I can find but still have some questions. Would appreciate some directions or suggestions.
This is a used 2007 Accord V6 Auto that I just bought. Sometimes it just won't start. I can hear just one click from the starter area but no other sound. If I keep trying turning the key off and on, eventually the engine gets started anywhere from 3 tries to 30 tries. The key I am using is a new cut by the dealer, but same problem happens on the original valet key. It is prone to happen when the engine is cold (like in the morning).
I have replaced the battery and battery terminals look good with no corrosion. I've also asked a local tech to replace the starter. But it happens still.
From my reading, any bad/loose connection or gounding may cause the problem, but I can't understanding why it may relate to a cold engine. Could it be that the new starter is no good? The local tech insists the original starter was bad, but he can't fix the problem. Is it resonable for me to ask for a full refund in your opinion?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:17 PM

have you tried to wiggle the key when starting? it could be a bad ignition switch

Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Sorry for my ignorance as I am not car savvy. Since I can hear a click everytime, doesn't that mean the ignition switch is good?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Have the battery test first, it's free at most places.

When you start the car, in the first 1-2 seconds, try to listen very carefully if the fuel pump goes on.

Next time it doesn't start, follow the instructions in the owner's manual (see attached pic.) and wait 10 seconds, then press the gas pedal down half way and see if it starts.

I am trying to rule out the starter as a problem.

It may even be related to the fuel pump relay.

Some earlier Accords (i.e., 2005) had faulty fuel pump relays.
Honda TSB 07-020

Your car has two PGM-FI Main Relays. PGM-FI Main Relay 2 is the fuel pump relay.

Attached Thumbnails new starter gives one click but won't start-starting-engine.jpg   new starter gives one click but won't start-under-dash-fuse-relay-box.jpg  
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies. It turned out that there were some gps/remote shutdown wiring still in the car left from the privious owner. Problem is fixed after the removal of those wirings.