General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

central locking problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:29 PM
seasider
Unregistered
Default central locking problem

Hello, I'm an Accord owner in England. Can you help me with a little problem on my 96 2.2 VTEC?When I try to lock my car using the key in the driver's door the button goes down then pops back up. Sometimes it will stay down, sometimes not. If it does lock, I often find that when I go back to my car it has unlocked itself. This does not spoil my enjoyment of this fine car but it is a nuisance and means I can't leave anything of value in it. Can anyone could tell me what might be happening?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Default RE: central locking problem

Maybe your door isn't latching fully closed?

I had a friend in college who had some sort of Datsun type car. He would lock it, hold up on the handle and close the door to where it caught the first "catch" and walk off and leave it. Anyone who tried to open it would find it locked. All he had to do was push the door the rest of the way closed and it would unlock. Being a college student, he didn't have much of value in there, so it worked great for him.

On yours, maybe the striker bolt is too far "in" on the door jamb. If there is a way to adjust it out further, you could try it and see if that helps. Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

could be an actuator issue,,,,,,,but i would rmove the panel and chk the linkage to make sure it is properly going all the way down when in the lock position

Old 09-19-2007, 01:30 PM
seasider
Unregistered

Thank you. I'll have a look at the weekend. I'm not the most practical person in the world but I have already learned a lot about my car from reading posts on this site.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:40 PM
seasider
Unregistered

I have been very busy and have not had a chance to look at the lock on my 96 2.2 VTEC. However, I have been locking the car by pushing the button down firmly and closing the door. This has proved successful and the lock has stopped springing open. This, I think,suggests that the advice that I was kindly given was right. As It's working ok for me I think I'll leave it alone for now. Thanks again for the advice and the welcome to the forum. By the way, I like this car more and more. It has done 109,000 miles and the VTEC engine is super smooth. I also particularly like the gearbox. The only problems I have are an inoperative front interior light and an intermittently working high-level brake light. Good car.