General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Charge AC System

Old 05-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Charge AC System

I was wondering if I could replace the 134A with Freeze 12.Will this cause any damage?The 134A takes some time before I can feel it,like driving on the Freeway.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:58 AM
Administrator
Exclamation Hi New Member

Your in the wrong forum to ask that question.
This is for new members to say hello and tell us a little about your self...

Ive moved it to here where its now in the general tech forum.
Please look where you post things and also please read all the forum rules..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hello Again New Member

Originally Posted by onempty
I was wondering if I could replace the 134A with Freeze 12.Will this cause any damage?The 134A takes some time before I can feel it,like driving on the Freeway.
This time we need your year, make , model and engine size to be put in your post so that we can answer your questions..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 05-28-2010, 10:21 AM

I know this: No! It is not compatible. I had to learn AC systems through "trial and error" (argh!), reading manuals and talking to AC technicians. Later Hondas run R-134a, not sure what year they changed. Compatablity includes, type of oil, the hoses, seals etc. To fix: I had to purchase gauges (manifold set) and the vacuum pump; cheap tool place had them. The connector fittings are different, I bought a "late model" adapter kit.

Let me relate a story: One year the AC in my 95 LX was blowing warm air. While talking to my buddy (salesperson-parts store) he said try this Arctic Freeze, a synthetic (there are others) with seal conditioner. We went out to my car, he pops on the can, started the engine (AC on full bore) and opens the can. I said: "wait, don't you have to evacuate the system?" He said: let's try it. After a couple minutes, cold air. This was a fluke!!! You really need to pull vacuum, especially if the system has been apart or you had a leak.

My experience with Broncos: I have seen systems ruined by trying to mix R-12 and 134a. If the system is funky, you need to put in a new accumulator/dryer. There is something called "black death" that comes with a system that is old and had been unused for a long time.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

r134a cools real good,, have you checked to see if it is low on freon ?? hook up a set of gauges and chk the pressures ......Also r12 costs a lot more than r134a,and it is getting harder and harder to get it ,, .. people convert from r12 to r134a not the other way around

personally i would not recommend it,, and it sounds like your car is a bit low on freon , also chk the heater valve for proper function and adjustment...........and last.. what year bicycle is it ??