General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Default Check Engine light

HI everyone.

This is my first post on here. I have a 1998 Accord. LX 2.3 L automatic transmission. It runs great. I had a tune up a few months ago. Check engine light has been on almost the entire life of the car. It gets cleared then of course a few days or weeks or months, or years later it always comes back on. Well this time i cant get it to turn off.

So i took it to Autozone and hooked it up to the reader and this is what is said. "p 1498 manufacturer control auxilary emissions controls" I did some preliminary checking on the web but couldn't find anything specific. And when i check the code on here it says its the EGR valve. Not too knowledgable about cars, so that is why i am here. What is wrong with the car? It doesn't idle rough, its a real quiet drive, has the same power now that it did 10 years ago. transmission is smooth...

Feel free to ask any questions that might help you come up with an answer.

I really need your help on this one.

Thanks so much in advance for your help and input

Old 12-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

The EGR valve is an emissions control device. It allows exhaust gas to reenter the engine to help reduce nitrogen oxides (NOx) when the engine runs.

The problem is likely the EGR valve, and it is pretty simple to replace.

One test from the shop manual says to unplug the 6-pin connector. Turn the key to the II position. Check for voltage on the connector between pins two and three using a volt meter. The wire colors are grn/blk and yel/blu.

If you look at the connector, the order is
4x6

There is no wire going into pin 5.