General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Indiciani
Unregistered
Default Check Engine Light

I have a 2000 Honda Accord 4-cylinder...my check engine light has come on. I have made sure my gass cap is tight. I went to Advance Auto to get it diagnosed and the came up with a code P1486 (Auxiliary Emission Controls). My wife works at Honda and the service tech said to check to relay to make sure it was not bad. I checked that and it was fine. He then said to disconnect the negative battery cable for a few seconds. the light went away for a few days and now it's back on. The tech said to check the ECT (Engine Cooling Temp.) sensor, because it might be the problem. Where do I find this and how do I replace it? Please Help.

Old 08-14-2005, 03:27 AM
Rockville
Unregistered
Default RE: Check Engine Light

The check engine light came on for the first time in my 2003 Accord EX tonight. As I was placing the car into 1 gear, the engine light came on, and severely lost power; almost like when you place the gear in third by accident sometimes, mistaking it for first gear. Going into second gear the transmission again buckled severely...losing power and then slowly getting back into shape. I checked out the official Honda web site and did not notice any type of recall, but has anyone else experienced this ?

Does this have anything to do with the transmission recall for 2003 honda transmissions?

R

Old 08-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Rockville
Unregistered
Default RE: Check Engine Light

An update...

My CEL came on last Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon I applied an STP fuel injection cleaner in the fuel tank, with an added carburetor cleaner in the solution for $2.79 +tax. All day Sunday, still had the same problem...CEL light on, car losing power (after 2400 rpm) in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears...near stalling.

Today, I took the Accord into the Honda dealership to have them take a stab at it. They asked for $91.00 to run a diagnostic test on it. But thank God for the thought of a second opinion!

I neary paid $91.00 to have the Honda Dealership run a diagnostics test on my 2003 Honda Accord to determine what was wrong with it. I asked if they had similiar problems with other '03 Accords and she said no. I asked if taking out the fuse and placing it back in might get rid of the light and she replied no, it only works on late 90's models, and besides it might be more along the line of problem with the oxygen sensors too, thus ensuring failure at the emissions test.

Well, this morning on the way to the dealership, with the CEL still on, the engine performance remarkablely improved and there was no power loss during accelertion. Today on the way home from work, the light even came off!

I 'm gonna start monitoring the gas quality that I'm using (87 oct) and will continue to use a fuel injector cleaner once a month, like I did on my super-reliable '90 Integra and keep everyone posted and see how this progresses.

R