General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light always off

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Default Check engine light always off

My check engine light is always off - not even coming on when the vehicle is first started. I know it has worked in the past, and I was not aware it was not on until I tried to get it inspected today and they will not pass it without the light. They did hook up the OBD reader and verified it was clean - no codes at all.

Right before they did the inspection, they also replaced the A/C filter and had removed the glove box, moved part of the fuse box around, dropped part of the lower dash, etc all in trying to get to the check engine light.

Is it possible there is something behind there that may be loose and is causing the problem? I looked and nothing appeared obvious - no fuses loose/missing, no frayed/extra wires, etc.

I assume the light is probably an LED, so not likely to 'burn out'. Any thoughts on how I can diagnose this myself? I tried Google, but all I kept finding were questions and answers about how to turn OFF the check engine light - not how to diagnose why it does not ever come on.

The car is a 2000 Honda Accord, V6,

Thank you,
Rodney

Old 03-19-2010, 03:03 PM

I should have proof read my own post before posting.

In the 2nd paragraph, it should read that they removed the glove box, dropped part of the lower dash, poked around behind the fuse box, etc all while trying to locate and change the A/C air filter. It was not until after the dash was assembled that they performed the vehicle inspection and we noticed the check engine light was not operating.

Thanx,
Rodney

Old 03-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by gadgetry
I should have proof read my own post before posting.

In the 2nd paragraph, it should read that they removed the glove box, dropped part of the lower dash, poked around behind the fuse box, etc all while trying to locate and change the A/C air filter. It was not until after the dash was assembled that they performed the vehicle inspection and we noticed the check engine light was not operating.

Thanx,
Rodney

Was it working before this?

Change the bulb by taking out the inst. panel.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Pop Pop
Was it working before this?
I wish I knew for sure, as if I knew it was working, I would make them pay for the repair. I know it has worked recently, but I am not confident enough that i check it every day and know it stopped working after they replaced the A/C filter. I had hoped there was something in the area where they were working that could have pulled loose, etc and suggestions on where to look or how to diagnose it.

I had assumed the dash lights were LEDs and not bulbs, but looking online after your post and perhaps I was wrong on that assumption. I also see a few posts on how to get to the instrument bulbs, so perhaps I will give that a try (will have to wait until next weekend).

Thanx for the response - any other suggestions before I attempt to remove the instrument panel?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by gadgetry
I wish I knew for sure, as if I knew it was working, I would make them pay for the repair. I know it has worked recently, but I am not confident enough that i check it every day and know it stopped working after they replaced the A/C filter. I had hoped there was something in the area where they were working that could have pulled loose, etc and suggestions on where to look or how to diagnose it.

I had assumed the dash lights were LEDs and not bulbs, but looking online after your post and perhaps I was wrong on that assumption. I also see a few posts on how to get to the instrument bulbs, so perhaps I will give that a try (will have to wait until next weekend).

Thanx for the response - any other suggestions before I attempt to remove the instrument panel?

Bulb is quickest and easiest solution if it works. You've located removal inst. so you should be good. If it isn't the bulb, it may be difficult find.