General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light does NOT come on

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Default Check engine light does NOT come on

Interesting issue here, although I'm sure you guys can help. My check engine light is NOT coming on. Before when the oil was low the check engine light would come on, dealer years ago told me the light came on since the oil was low and it affected the VTech. I would add oil and it went off.

Now, after 218K, the light doesn't come on at all. I had an oil leak (evidently didn't put the oil pan bolt on tight enough, oops) and the oil was way low and the light didn't come on at all. This has happened before when the oil was low (had been eating up oil lately). It's only been like this is maybe the past 30,000 miles or so.

I would like to think it's because everything is running smoothly but since it came on in the oil scenario before I'm thinking there may be something wrong and if there is then the check engine light isn't coming on for other issues. although haven't had any other issues, knock on wood.

it's a 2001 Accord EX, 218K, 5 speed.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Are you saying you never check your oil until check engine light comes on? If you regularly check your oil and it's reasonable level, the VTEC will operate normally and no check engine light. When oil gets low enough to cause brief loss of oil pressure the VTEC pressure switch may come on an, you probably have < 2 qts.

Nothing wrong as long as you check/change the oil regularly.

good luck

Old 11-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

The oil warning lamp is for pressure, not inventory. Don't let the oil inventory get low.

The check-engine light will not directly measure oil pressure or inventory. It's hit-or-miss whether low oil inventory will trigger a VTEC error. DO NOT rely on that. Check your oil dipstick regularly.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:58 AM

At the time the mechanic told me that I wasn't checking the oil regularly, and once he did tell me when it would come on I would add oil and it goes off. now I check it regularly (I also do my own work now too).

I guess my main concern is the check engine light hasn't come on for anything, I guess I should just be thankful? I was concerned that since it hasn't come on for anything that there might be something wrong with the light itself.

I guess leave well enough alone? (can't complain either way, 218K and all original only major things have been timing belts/water pump twice and fuel injectors besides the usual parts that wear out brakes, belts etc.., still on original clutch, starter and alternator but I keep thinking something is wrong lol)

Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Every time you start, the Check Engine Light comes on for about 2-secs and goes off. This is a test of CEL and engine computer. If this occurs, all is well.

good luck